"Whaling" Merit Badge - New for 2012 (As of 04/01/2012)

I have seen some unusual Merit Badges, but this one takes the cake:

http://www.glpics.com/Quailman/WhalingMB.doc

I went to our local Scout Shop yesterday and although they did not have the Merit Badge booklet quite yet, they were able to point me to where I could locate requirements online.

Ok. Fine - but I said I don't see the badge on display. They said...(seriously)...."Do you have an advancement report with that Merit Badge"?

Me - Totally Blank Stare of annoyance and disbelief...and my best effort not to be sarcastic too.

Me - No. Might I just see what that badge looks like?

Them - if it's not on display, it may still be in our latest shipment that we have not unpacked yet.

Me - (Thinking...let it go...) Have a nice day!

...back home...

Sound: Ding Dong (Doorbell)

Me: [Opening door] Hello?

Neighborhood Scout and Scouter (Dad): "Hey Scouter. - we have a little too much whale blubber from the whale hunt we went on last week. Want some?

(AND to add insult to injury...there stood that Scout BEHIND heavily gloved hands and a thich gallon ziplock bag full of whale blubber and behind all that was the ...dare I say it... "WHALING MERIT BADGE" right there on his merit badge sash + a "DEVICE" too.

Me: "Sure...I'll take 3 pounds. $5 each...? Ok, here you go (handing over pretty much all the wampum left in my wallet).

Me: "What is the little white DEVICE on your WHALING merit badge?"

Scout: "Oh, that...if you catch a Norwhale...bonus is you get to carve a mini harpoon to wear on your whaling merit badge!"

Me: [in my best ...ok...that's a new one but complimentary voice] "Greaaat job..."

Me: "what's your next merit badge going to be? [Phone rings inside of house]

Me: "Sorry - Gotta run. Keep up the great work!"

(This message has been edited by Scouter.)

Well I know our local whalers are excited about signing up to be merit badge instructors for this one.. They have been emailing and talking to my husband in person about it..

Seems the earlier the catch the interest and sign up young boys into being apprentice whalers the better they are at the craft.. So they are very interested in sparking the interest of some of our young scouters..

Sounds like your Neighboring scout & scouter had a very successful expedition..

You have got to be kidding me......

Guess someone in Dallas has their head in the sand...

Did anyone see the series whale wars??????

Do you understand how unpopular this will make the BSA??????

Most folks view whales as people not food......Really bad PR move on BSA's part.

Just sayin..

If aspiring whale hunters don't get a whale, they ought to be able to harpoon one of those "Whale Wars" inflatable boats pretty easily.

Environmentalists frequently use Indian tribes as useful fools to support their political campaigns. But when the Makah Indians started harpooning whales in the far northwest corner of Washington State a few years ago, the greens declared war against them, and the US Coast Guard that was protecting their right to take whales.

The Coast Guard wound up using their boats to collide and sink the boats of the green antagonists, then fishing them out of the water and arresting them.

TAHAWK....

....the irony of your comment is that earlier I was looking at the requirements to be on STAFF for the 2013 NJ and is says that you must have a certain BMI (Body Mass Index) OR LESS to be allowed on staff.

As I was reading that...I thought of those 2 Scouters....what a coincidence.

Peace...S.

Many Merit Badges give people a choice in meeting requirements. I'm guessing that the Whaling Merit Badge would require:

Requirement 4 Do ONE of the following

Demonstrate your skills by harpooning

(a) any whale that can be legally taken or

(b) a Sea Shepard ship or inflatable boat that might be impeding your ability to take a whale.

Perdidochas...

I must admit that my wife purchased 80 (yes EIGHTY) pounds of fresh chicken breasts. Having had the experience of packaging that...I can hardly imagine messing with field dressing a whole whale.

Ummm....wow. That would have to be a requirement of its own!

Peace...S.