Hello,

I have a question, about recording projects within the service log hours. My son who is a younger Scout has no problem with Scout spirit and giving his time towards the community. He has been, working in the food bank, prepping food at the local church for the less fortunate and volunteering at the local Childrens Hospital.

But are the following projects allowed to be considered as Service log hours?

Scouting for Food. Yes or No, and why?

Spring Cleaning day at the local Church, the site where his troop meetings are held. Yes or No, and why?

Another Scouts, Eagle project. Yes or No, and why?

Is there a guide line for allowable Service log hours.

Thanks for your time.

(This message has been edited by Old_Guy)

There is no national, standardized policy on "what counts," but instead that's generally left up to the unit.

Here's the official national guidance, from the Guide to Advancement:

Basic to the lessons in Scouting, especially regarding

citizenship, service projects are a key element in the

Journey to Excellence recognition program for councils,

districts, and units. They should be a regular and critical

part of the program in every pack, troop, team, crew,

and ship.

Service projects required for Second Class, Star, and

Life ranks may be conducted individually or through

participation in patrol or troop efforts. They also may

be approved for those assisting on Eagle Scout projects.

Second Class requires a minimum of one hour on an

approved project. An approval is important because it

calls on a boy to think about what might be accepted,

and to be prepared to discuss it. It is up to the unit to

determine how this is done. In many troops, it is the

Scoutmasters prerogative.

Personally, if I were the one making the decision, I'd say that the spring cleaning day for the chartered organization shouldn't count. That type of work should be a natural part of the thanks the troop gives to its sponsor. But that's just me.

Sounds like a great kid.....

I don't like scouts getting credit with in multiple organizations for the same hour.....

Just seems wrong in my book.....

There is no rule forbidding it......

6 hours for star...

6 hours for life....

12 hours over a couple of years....pretty easy in my book.

we get that in about 6 months in our troop.......

Yes, yes and yes.

Scouting for food serves the community.

Helping your charter partner builds bonds with the organization, and does not directly serve internal scouting functions.

Eagle projects, by definition, may not support scouting camps or functions, therefore are community projects.

I, too, don't allow "double dipping" on service hours. Credit may be used only once.(This message has been edited by Second class)

Thanks for all the responses. My concern was the ASM noting which one could or couldnt be counted, while the Advancement Officer gave the service a yes.

My son is a Tenderfoot, so the time spent will not help with his advancement, but taking another step towards building his character, community awareness and the needs of others. No other rewards or credits, but does help with his record keeping. If he doesnt write it down and request a signature of completion. Which he completely understands, most of the time.

He has friends with disabilities, donates money found from metal detecting to the local food bank and volunteers locally. His only reward is a personal lesson, feeling of good doing, and maybe a thank you.

Then he's on the right track, regardless. The things he records for advancement purposes, IMHO, should be those that he is most proud of.

If the SM/ASM is having issues signing of on the boy's favorite project, make sure he's recorded a list of five or so "pinch hitters" that he can call up.

I'm a huge fan of "double-dipping" by the way. You can find why in other threads. But that's not the case here.

"So why are their no service hours for Scout, Tenderfoot, Second Class either??????"

Actually there is a requirement for service hours for 2nd Class.

2nd Class: 1 hour (minimum)

My point is that each increase in rank requires an increase in skill level. Seems this should also apply to service too.

Yes, yes, and yes. For reasons like Secondclass states. The spring cleanup example actually says that it is for where the troop holds its meetings, which may not be at the CO. Either way, it is a service project.

Work at a boy scout camp would count too.

Note that the JTE requirements specifically asks units to do a service project for the CO and log it to even make the bronze level for that category. If you do not count work for the CO as service, then the Unit will not be able to get any points for this category. And IMO it would be inappropriate for the Unit to count the service for JTE but not for the scouts. National calls work for CO as a service project, so we call it that too.

I'm not sure how to spin off a thread, so this OP has me wondering:

How many service projects does your unit do yearly? Do the patrols also do their own service projects? What kinds of projects does the troop/patrols do? Do your scouts do most of their service individually, outside of troop projects, or only troop projects?