Silver Fawn Award is on ebay how much it worth

I had to Google the Silver Fawn award to figure out what it is. Apparently, the Silver Beaver used to only be available to men, and the Silver Fawn was the equivalent award for women. In the 1970's, the Silver Fawn was discontinued, and the Silver Beaver started being awarded to both men and women. According to Wikipedia anyway, only a few thousand Silver Fawns were awarded, so I guess the medal might be worth something to collectors.

I feel honored to know two recipients of the Silver Fawn. In both cases, they were offered a "trade" to a Silver Beaver, but both cases, they turned it down.

If that same offer was made to the other 998 recipients, I would say that could really cut down on the number of medals "out in circulation."

Somebody else is selling their fathers Silver Beaver award. Different than any other I've seen, this one is gold colored with a green and gold ribbon.

Also a Silver Buffalo.

Is nothing sacred?

(This message has been edited by Eagle732)

Unfortunately times are hard right now, and I am afraid it will get harder in the near future. I know I sold some things that meant a lot to me when I was in grad school. I also know that after Hurricane Katrina, there were some things of my grandmother's that were sold. Luckily before anything was sold, the family went through it and we all had a chance to get what we wanted.

Except me. I wanted her awesome meatball recipe, and she never wrote it down anywhere. :(

Then again it was probably a good thing that recipe was not found as there would have been a major fight amongst us grandkids. :)

What to do?

A. Silver Fawn sits in a dresser drawer, or a box in the garage, unwanted by the heirs. Or the heirs need cash because of tough times.

or

B. Sell it to a collector who will display it so others can respect what it represents. Or sell it to someone who needs a replacement.

Most of us would treasure the fawn...but not everyone feels the same way. Scout awards, academy rings, Super Bowl rings...the family of the recipient, and sometime the recipient, will feel the need to part with the item. Such is life.

Before making judgments and asking if nothing is sacred, perhaps it is important to ask why they are selling it in the first place. In one instance, I saw a seller once selling very rare Air Scout items to fund his child's surgery. He seemed really sad to part with them in the description. Others might require the money or do not view Scouting in the same light as you and I might.

At any rate, the fact that something that cost probably $1 to make can sell for so much is stunning.

Chaoman45...

Thanks for the comments and the reminder...

I sold my 1st Edition 1st Printing Boy Scout Handbook to pay for my 1st sons birth.

ROFL! I got one heck of a "Return on Investment" with that.

Peace...S.