'Box,

I have no involvement with him, but I think he may still be in scouting. He came to my attention when I was told that the chapter he was trying to get into contacted me about having another experienced dancer to help advise the lodge dance team. Apparently he said he was a dancer too. Problem was that when I communicated with him, some of the questions I asked he didn't have a clue about.

Then we found out about national having no records.

"Our SM was a member of the OA in the '80s, an ordeal member who still has his sash. How can he go about re-entering the lodge?"

I was in the same situation when I became an ASM. I still had my Ordeal Sash and Lodge Flap but lost some paperwork and membership card. I contacted my local Lodge and gave them the date of my Call-Out and the date of my Ordeal.

"Unfortunately we had a guy try to say he was not only an Arrowman, but a Vigil member to boot. When national stated they had no record of him as a Vigil, he stated he was Brotherhood instead, getting confused. Probelm was when asked about his Ordeal, he couldn't remember a thing."

Either it didn't make a big impression on him or he was like these people that claim all kind of military honors they didn't earn. My Ordeal was 45 years ago, my Brotherhood 44 and my Vigil 41 and I still remember all 3 of them quite well.

There are some things you just cannot forget. Ordeal being one of them, Vigil another.

Now I admit I don't remember much of my Brotherhood except A) I find out I'm eligible when I show up at the Ordeal (chapter wasn't active) and B) test. No walk, and can't remember that particular night.

But I remember other Brotherhood ceremonies I did.

I recently joined the local lodge after a long period of time out. Basically they wanted the dates and the lodge that I completed my ordeal and brotherhood in. Funny thing is, I called the council office from where I grew up and talked to the same woman who worked there 20 years ago. Her son was in my troop. Turns out they don't keep records. The local lodge was fine with approximations, but I dug out my OA guidebook and discovered that I had written the dates down. If I eventually make Vigil, I'll have to add it to that old book.

A Scout is Trustworthy.

Paid my $15 dues, attended a lodge meeting and they handed me a lodge flap.

• 2 months later...

Not all troops have OA members. Especially if it's a relatively new troop, I would not be surprised if there are few first class scouts, and likely zero OA members. I know our own troop is in that condition now, with about 4 years since it was chartered.