Why are the 1st two questions between adults volunteers usually...

At my first meeting, one old guy (in full Scout garb) actually turned and walked away from me when I answered "No" to #1!!! Hasn't spoken a word to me since.

Yah, hmmmm....

I apologize to yeh, Engineer61. There's really no excuse for that, and I'm sorry that the fellow never took to heart the Scout Law in the way he lives his life. Some folks, too, are just socially awkward, and from time to time yeh just have to make allowances.

I would welcome yeh, but then as everyone knows I'm not much of a knot-head. ;)

Beavah

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Beav,

Thanks for the apology Beav, but it's unnecessary... I really have nothing to contribute to the effort anyway, except maybe logistical support.

All my outdoor skills are self-taught and I haven't used them in 35 years anyway.

Eng,

Sorry but I disagree, you have a LOT to offer beside logistical support. You can be a merit badge councilor for Engineering, Sports or any number of the 100+ merit badges that may be related to what you do for a living or as a hobby.

You got ideas for activities that the scout may be interested in.

Shall I go on.

And like the Beav said, what the old fogey is uncalled for.

Engineer,

I have to echo them too.

Anybody can be a big asset to a unit. Ideas, different ways of seeing thiungs, having s good bedside manor with the youth, just being there can be a big help.

As you can tell from your own experience, long time scouters can get a bad case of tunnel visoin and have a skewered way of looking at things.

Interesting thread. So far I've read the first page.

I'll note that the youth application asks parents to describe their "Previous scouting experience."

The adult leader application asks "Are you and Eagle Scout" Check Yes or No.

I'm interested in previous Scouting experience and I transcribe that from the application to my contact information record.

That gives me an idea of whether people have some idea about the program or perhaps know nothing.

If someone volunteers that they are an Eagle Scout, I'm glad to hear that. They are probably interested in being unit leaders, and I would be looking for something for them to do rather early.

Ditto Arrow of Light, although usually people who volunteer that they are Eagles also volunteer that they were AOL.

If they do volunteer that, I buy them the Eagle and/or AOL knot and award them that at the first available pack meeting. It's recognition for the adult and my theory is that it should encourage them to buy a uniform to put the knots on. That theory doesn't tend to produce the desire result however.

I'm interested in whatever level of Scout experience a person brings to the table. If anyone gives me the "I was only First Class" or "I was only a Life Scout" line, I'll either tell them that 1) my theory is that 1st class is the most important Boy Scout Rank or 2) I was a Cub Scout dropout after only a few weeks, whatever seems most appropriate.

Now on to page 2 and 3 of this thread!

(This message has been edited by seattlepioneer)

>

Ah yes. A year or so ago Bill Gates was awarded the national Silver Buffalo award. I think he was a First Class Scout.

However, my council had a well attended $100,000 a plate dinner for Bill at which the Silver Buffalo was awarded to him.

I missed that one.

It's probably usually small talk, conversation openers that fit the situational context; relatively dull, but friendly.

But when tone suggests they're trying to establish relative position in a pecking order... before you respond, even if your own resume is impressive, before you whip it out to compare whose is bigger... ask yourself "What kind of person is this that I should try to impress him, and for what?" If he's trying to establish a pecking order, he may just be a pecker.

I'm sorry Dean, I disagree about these being questions that are asked.

I'm proud of my accomplishments, I'm proud of a lot of the things that I've done. This doesn't mean that I look down on others or play the one up man-ship game.

I didn't post in the other thread. I did read most of what was posted.

When it comes to looking down on others, which I think is a sad and wrong thing to do. I believe that most often in our organization it's the youth leaders, the people who work with the kids who are most guilty of looking down on the other volunteers who don't work with the Scouts.

I have a very dear and close friend who is a M.D. A really great guy and a real character. His family escaped from Cuba with him. His Dad worked in construction and at a gas station to get him through school. He has served on the Council Executive Board for a very long time and has served as a Vice President and as the rep from the Council on the National Board. Any and every-time I have ever mentioned about a Scout needing something be it a uniform or help paying for camp this guy has put his hand in his pocket without asking any questions. He has supported the Council financial for a very long time.

I was over joyed that when I received the Silver Beaver he was standing next to me.

Sadly the comments I overheard about him from the contact volunteers seemed to be mostly negative. The feeling seemed to be that because he didn't work directly with the youth he was un-worthy of the award.

The truth was and is that the people doing the put down had no idea of what he had done and was doing.

I was very hurt when Scouter's from my own area said that the Silver Antelope was an award that was only ever given to the "Suits" and that I had somehow switched sides when I received it. The truth was that no matter what I was still me and when it comes to doing what's best for the kids we are trying to serve, there are no sides.

Each of us does what we can and many do the best that they can.

My idea of Purgatory is to be locked up in the same room as a group of Tiger Cub aged Scouts. I think if it were to happen there is a good chance that when the door was opened one or two of the little guys might be missing.

Does this make me a bad guy?

I think each of us serves where we feel we might do the most good. This very often is dependent on how much time we have and what our other responsibilities are.

More often than not when I meet a Scouter that I don't know he is the one that will bring up the fact that he was /is an Eagle and will let it be known how much training he has had. At times me having this information is useful but so is someone letting me know that they are a RN or have some other skill or knowledge that might come in handy.

Each of us can only be intimidated if we allow it to happen.

While I of course respect what other people have done and can do. When it comes to Scouting and getting a job done? I use that information to my advantage and meeting the goal. Right now one of my tractors is broken, I need someone who can fix tractors a guy with a PhD in physiology unless he can fix tractors isn't going to do me a lot of good.

For Scouting to work at its best we need a lot of different people with a lot of different skill-sets to work together and work toward the same shared goal.

There really isn't a lot of room for one up man-ship.

Ea.

I'm a woman. No one ever asks me either of those questions. The pack committee chairman did ask me how many children I have. She saw on my registration form that I had been a den leader several other times, and she guesses (incorrectly) that I must have other older sons to drag me into those packs. Nope, I just volunteered to serve in my church pack. Ironically, I had to give it up when my baby was born. I just couldn't manage it, but now that my son is finally in first grade, I'm back, and I couldn't be happier about it.

To answer the question: why do we ask each other for our resumes when we meet, I can't really say, but its like that outside of scouting. People always start with the same questions: what do you do for a living, how old are your children, etc. etc. etc. It happens to kids, too. How old are you? What's your favorite subject in school? What grade are you in? I suspect we are just trying to find something that we have in common with each other. But the judgements that some people have faced are deeply unfortunate.

Yeah,

Guess I'd just like to go to one District or above level event, be it training, a dinner, etc... and hear from the podium, "will all scouters who have more than 100 hours in direct youth contact in the past year please stand up and be recognized...". Instead, its usually, "Will all those who are eagle scouts please stand and be recognized...". To me, to bring up something someone accomplished 20+ years ago seems pretty silly. Its kind of like being at a HS football banquet and having all the dads who lettered in HS football or played on a state champ team from 20 years ago stand up and get a round of applause. Supposed to be for the current youth, not those reliving their glory days.

Eamonn - I don't begrudge your friend who received the silver beaver award his honor. Sounds like a stand-up guy who backs scouting regularly. But, as a vol. it does get old going to district events to see people with very little (or in some cases NO) direct youth involvement get accolades from the professional PAID scouters because said individuals support more with their pocketbook than thier sweat-equity.

Can't say I'm too surprised to hear some folks calling you out as going to the "dark-side" when you received the Silver Antelope award. There is a HUGE riff between unit / district vols. and paid "suits" that no one ever really wants to admit exists. Same reason I resent everytime I hear from my DE, its either he wants me to start a new BS unit, or wants a FOS presentation done... otherwise, I don't exist the rest of the year! He's never called or e-mailed (god forbid show up to a unit event) to see how things are going or solicit input into what the unit NEEDS or would like to see from district / council.

Its not so much that the Eagle question get asked, its the auditory 'sigh' and subsequent deflation in some (not all but some) people's voice when you respond you were a scout as a youh, but didn't attain the highest rank possible. If you're out there doing your best for the boys, then that sould be enough. Unfortunately for some, that is not the case.

Personally, I have no objection to recognizing those who make substantial financial contributions to Scouting. I'm guessing most aren't actually being bought by recognition, and are simply being recognized and thanked for their contributions.

My favorite was Bill Gates getting the Silver Whatever It Is national award a year or two ago. He received that award at a well attended $100,000/plate dinner. My only regret is that someone didn't send me a ticket....