"Moonlight Kingdom" (May 25, 2012)

Has anyone seen the trailer for this? It involves a boy from a scout-like troop leaving his camp and running away with a girl he meets at camp. Of course the uniforms are knock-offs; I wonder if the producers asked BSA to participate officially?

There is at least one *real* Boy Scout in the film, albeit as an extra:

http://portsmouth.patch.com/articles/portsmouth-boy-scout-earns-movie-extra-badge-on-set-of-moonrise-kingdom

More info on IMDB at:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748122/combined

Trailer looks pretty funny and from clothing looks like it was "back in the day". Wow what a cast - Bruce Willis (camp director?) , Bill Murray, Ed Norton ... Thanks for heads up.

Back in the day, well I won't say there were or there were not instances of Boy Scouts leaving camp to ah, be Friendly with the locals... :)

Gotta wait to get home to see trailers.

As for scouts leaving camp....

WELLL I'm at a camp staff reunion, and one of the former staffers, who is a Marine and has been in the sandbox a couple of times, stated the only time he has ever heard shots fired in anger was.... when he snuck off to visit a local while working on summer camp staff.

• 2 months later...

I like the visuals. It is more like what the director Wes Anderson--who always wanted to be a Boy Scout--thought they "should look" so I expect it a movie that will "feel right" more than be historically accurate. Some of the stills look VERY Norman Rockwell-esque.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw Moonlight Kingdom today, but I wish had mowed the lawn instead. On our 5 Smores rating system, I give it 1 Smore.

Definitely quirky sometimes dark. About young misfits in love (PG-13), one happens to be a scout. Has some funny moments but could have been funnier. Bill Murray was wasted (that could be taken two ways and both would be correct). Some very unnecessary violence. Agree about the visuals, flat moments in story. I recognized parts of Yawgoog.

I did like that the Khaki Scouts correctly wore their neckers over the collar, unfortunately the neckers were triangular cut.(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)

I just got back from "Moonrise Kingdom" and I'm happy to report the movie did not paint Scouting in a negative light although some of the leaders were portrayed as less than positive role models.

In fact most of the adult characters are flawed in some way -- only the two protagonists are shown as sympathetic characters. The "Khaki Scouts" are shown as typical boys.

I note for the benefit of those who don't stay until the bitter end, the credits do include an acknowledgment of the Narragansett Council of the BSA at the very end.(This message has been edited by fgoodwin)

The credits can be found in the production notes at:

http://www.festival-cannes.fr/assets/Image/Direct/045115.pdf

"Special Thanks

Paul Forbes & Tom Sisson of Camp Yawgoog"

"In Memoriam

David S. Anderson

Narragansett Council, B.S.A.

For his enthusiastic encouragement

and generosity -- and his invaluable

scouting guidance."

Some of the filming locations are at:

https://foursquare.com/yawgoogtrails/list/moonrise-kingdom

• 1 month later...

Well, that's an hour of my life I'll never get back! and I say hour because we left before it was over. Think of a really bad 70's Woody Allen movie and make it even more so. Kinda like slapstick with out the funny and drama with out the plot.

It was the second movie at a drive-in double feature. Kids wanted to see Para Norman which was worth the drive and the $$ but we just couldn't stomach Moonrise Kingdom.