Okay Id like to know what the rest of you would do in my situation.

I was asked if I was interested in the SM position of a troop. I went the troop meeting and talked with some people and found out it was failing on every level of scouting. So I got my DE and District Commissioner aware incase I didnt become SM.

Now talking to people nobody else has time for the job and from talking to the lady that asked me there were all green lights from making me SM so the interview was going to be a formality.

At the interview last night I get blindsided by the current ASM who told me just last week he does not have time for the position(due to coaching a sport) and hopes I get it so they can see change announcing himself as a potential candidate.

They Proceeded to blind side some of the leaders that actually did want me as SM by Saying one thing earlier and then in a mass group changing their mind last night.

The job they want to give me is SM without the title. I would be known as an ASM. The committee chair got made when somebody in the meeting said it that way though because she didnt want me to know thats what they were trying to do.

I was more than willing to finish out the year as an ASM so people could get used to me (as they said that was why they were doing it) and then taking on SM when the season started back up.

The way I see it though they can either have a SM or an ASM but not some monstrous hybrid of both. And at this point I dont trust them enough to consider being an ASM.

What would all of you do?

Oh and as a side note. I never introduced myself that way to the boys but the boys knew and introduced me as the potential SM. after the interview multiple boys ran up to me and asked if I was their new SM and you could see the life drain from their bodies.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I having some trouble following the situation.

Is this a troop you've previously worked with? Or a random troop in need of help that approached you out of the blue? In my case, if a random troop (or any organization for that matter) asked me for help with something, but my initial encounters with them revealed unpleasant politics and other issues, I would probably politely decline the invitation and stick with less dysfunctional groups.

What exactly do they mean by "SM without the title?" What do they envision you to be doing, and what do they envision the SM to be doing? Just playing devil's advocate here, but maybe that kind of arrangement is what that particular troop needs right now?

And at this point I dont trust them enough to consider being an ASM.

It sounds like you've maybe answered your own question. Even in the best functioning troops, committing to being an SM, or even a highly-involved ASM represents a tremendous personal investment. And if the situation just doesn't pass the "sniff test," you're probably doing yourself and the unit a favor by saying "thanks but no thanks."

I guess if a random unit asked me for help out of the blue, and I had these types of concerns, my response would be "Well, right now I can commit to taking on position X, under the following conditions..... If that will be helpful for you, let's talk. But if you're looking for something else, I'm sorry, but I don't think I'll be able to help you right now."

Its a troop ive never worked with before. and by that them mean id be reformating the troop and making all the changing and everything that the SM should be doing (If they decide they like that change) but would not be dealing with other adults or boys or getting any credit for the work.

SM's job would be to stand their talk and take credit.

Id still be willing to be SM for boys sake but im not Doing this Crappy hybrid job and the "sniff" for ASM as failed.

But if you were in my shoes what would you do? Would you run for it at this point?

We old folks like to play this "shades of grey" game. Don't let us do it. First of all, there's no such thing as "just a formality." Sorry nobody's told you that before, but now you know for future reference.

Respectfully tell the committee, that for the sake of the boys you will either:

1. Wear the SM patch and do that job to the best of your ability.

2. Wear the ASM patch and help the SM do *his* job to the best of his ability.

Finally, get the CC and COR on the line and tell them they are allowed to have qualms about you being an SM, in which case they need to offer the position to someone else. But, if they have no qualms, you'll need their full support, and you never want to be blindsided in a meeting like that again. You never want any committee to treat any adult that way. If something's in doubt, spell it out!

Unless one really likes to play political games, I'd take a major pass on this one.

Anytime someone feels they've been "blindsided", it's time to find greener pastures.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Stosh

"And at this point I dont trust them enough to consider being an ASM."

If you don't trust them at this point to be an ASM, why would you trust them to be SM?

At this point I would find another unit to serve in, even as an ASM, and be open and ready to recruit the lads from this unit if it starts to fail, making sure any of that unit's committee members get the opportunity to hold one position at the new unit - parent.

They don't want a SM, or a new ASM.

What they want is someone to come in and help them "fix" their broken program, then go.

Give them the number of the District Commissioner. This sounds like something that would be better handled by a good Unit Commissioner.

From someone who has been in a similar position, unless you got some skin in the game, I'd pass. There will be drama, there will be problems, and you will go insane.

My position was as a CSDC PD. That was my title, but I did 95% of the admin work too. Lots of headaches, lots of drama, and I drove my poor wife nuts griping to her about it. BUT I had some skin in the game, oldest son was going to day camp. If it would not been for him, I would not have done PD a 2nd year. AND I would not still be involved in the day camp process if it wasn't two of my sons going this year.

My first thought was (in my best Monty Python voice) RUN AWAY,RUN AWAYyyy!!!

...then I read the last line "multiple boys ran up to me and asked if I was their new SM and you could see the life drain from their bodies. " (assuming when you said no) and thought you have to do it for the boys.

A few questions;

What does the COR want? (The COR has the final word don't they?)

Who is running the Troop? (I've got a gut feeling it's the committee.)

What happened to the last Scoutmaster? (and have you gotten their take on the troop and committee?)

As far as being a "virtual Scoutmaster" I think Yoda said it best "Do, or do not. There is no try."

MIB - knows my opinion on this.. Same as alot of yours.. Run (don't walk..) away..

Somethings we have heard about this troop.

1) CC is running the program, not the exiting SM. Fear of MIB is that he knows what he is doing, and will not let her run the troop.. She told him at first someone else was up for the position. Then found out the guy didn't even know he was chosen by her and didn't want the position, told MIB that.. Later CC was fine with MIB being SM.. Then he walks in to this meeting with the other guy seeking the position. Also the person who is soon-to-be SM, told MIB the CC is like that.. Someone else really wanted Finance position, they were bypass and his wife was voluntold to do the Finance position. His wife didn't want it, the other lady did.. Everyone else had no love of the CC for her high-handed ways either. But no one there knows enough about the program, to define her boundries. MIB figured as SM he would know where her boundries started and stopped. As ASM he will not be able to do so.

2) They are running a 13yo Eagle Mill Factory.. Many scouts after one year in the troop are at life rank.. They hold merit badge sessions during the scout meetings. Something MIB could have changed as SM, not as ASM.

3) The scouts rarely go camping. On occasion they might get to a camporee.. They have never had a PLC meeting per the only older scout in the troop, who somehow did advancement right (maybe an older scoutmaster's influence.) He is almost 18.. After him all the boys are only about one year or crossed over last week. The boys rarely do scout skills. Maybe once a month and it's only packing.

4) Games are altered so no boy touches another boy. The run around with bells so that rather then hitting the boy for "Tag your it" They ring the bell.. Meeting consists of just talking or a non-skill game (with no touchie rules), or a merit badge class..

To be fair the person who has now decided to take SM, may want to make changes, but since he doesn't know how they figure MIB can be ASM and make the changes for them (as long as the changes are approved by SM & CC).. Yeah if he got in there he would have needed to make alot of changes. MIB has the skills & knowledge as far as I'm concerned. But to be in an ASM position, and be charged with changing the troop, while only doing changes approved by a group of people who don't know the first thing about what a BSA program is.. Well as far as I am concerned, it would be nothing but frustrating.. Because he won't be able to make the changes he needs to.. And will go there each week to come home to scream about what they are attempting to do..

To me the CC is trying to move people around like pawns on a chess board in order to keep full control of the situation (hopefully she can get her 13 yo eagle and move out soon)..

Good advice all. Don't do it unless you get total SM control with committee support. And it sounds like you wont.

The signs are there that even if you step in as the official SM you will not last a year.

I am sure there are other Troops that could use and value your help.

What does the COR want? (The COR has the final word don't they?)

He was in the meeting and was in genreal concessus with most of troop. The COH and i have talked and get along. but i get the impression COR isnt doing his job from talking to COR because he didnt know anything about scouts or the troop. He assumed he was both COH and COR.

The Whole troop whants my experiance and expertice and training in the troop but i think they feel like im young so they can play me like a pawn and i dont work that way.

Who is running the Troop? (I've got a gut feeling it's the committee.)

From talking to multiple people the committe chair is runnint the troop her way for her boys. her sons came back from the summer camp first year program and had everything signed off while another boy and to reprove he learned every single thing.

I was at one meeting (SPL doesnt come to meeting cause hes looking at changing troops) the aspl called the meeting and made a plan and everything but the CC came in took over the meeting from the SM and then gave running of meeting to her son and didnt allow ASPL to do it.

So its the CC who from what i can tell nobody likes....last meeting every 5 minutes there was some snide comment about her.

What happened to the last Scoutmaster? (and have you gotten their take on the troop and committee?)

Yes ive talked to the last SM hes been retired for a year and a half but forced to continue doing the job since nobody steped up to do it. Its a genral consesus of most people the troop needs work including him.

I think that answers those questions.

and id still do SM when i wouldnt do ASM because as a ASM i have no power whatsoever and have to deal with what ever problems they want to cause for me. as a SM i still have to deal with some of those barriers but i have more power to get over them and help fix the problems.

If that makes any sense.

I think that answers all questions posed to me.

one correction the guy that got the SM position was not the guy that didnt know he was in the running it was a guy id been talking to and had been intrested in me geting the position and had said he couldnt take the position due to time constraints but would be willing to help me any way possible.

All of a sudden he has time and hes taking the position in name only.

I felt like he stabed me in the back. Because He was telling me exact oposite last week of what he was telling me this week.