The personal request method really does work best. In your case, even if the CO is a stand away type, ask the COR to sit down with you and the CC over a cup of coffee. Tell the COR that you're not trying to change the relationship, but ask the COR to brainstorm with you about what traits a CM needs. Then the three of you come up with three names each, from in the CO, in the Pack, and in the community. Evaluate them together and then recruit the top candidate. If they say no, go on the next one on the list, remembering that when you meet with them, they are the top candidate identified. After you have a CM, then go back to the top of the list and recruit two ACMs. Does this sound feasible?

I don't care how you measure, I don't believe it is possible in any way for a group of Web I boys, currently in 4th grade, to meet the first requirement for earning their Arrow of Light by June (unless all of their 10th birthdays were last fall):

1. Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade (or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old), and earn the Webelos badge.

I'm also a Cubmaster, as well as being a den leader for our Web I boys (including my son). I don't see Scouting as a race. Is it an advantage to put boys that have just finished 4th grade into a Boy Scout troop? I'd much rather see them have some time as the big shots in the Pack for a while. I was even thinking to have them "visit" the den meetings of the younger boys to teach or help with something they learned when they were younger. As the "senior" boys in the Pack it seems reasonable to do. Like in September come in and help the new Tigers earn their Bobcat. Later a bike safety workshop for the Wolves, Whittling Chip workshop for the Bears. It would give them something productive to plan and do together, increase their value in the Pack, and give them experience in the interactions between boys of different grades and ages that they'll see in Boy Scouts. Some of our previous crops of Webs were actually rude to the younger boys, and on the whole in our society, the kids in higher grades look down their noses at the kids in younger grades. Out in the work force we work with all different ages, our friends may be all different ages, and we may not even find it strange to have supervisors or managers that are much younger than us. The idea of 5th graders harrassing 1st and 2nd graders becomes rediculous when taken in the right context. Of course there is the same problem with the 10th and 11th graders not being fair with the new Scout 5th and 6th graders. So I think of what I want to do with my Web II den as introduction to leadership, and we'll see how it plays out.

In some of the training I received I remember this being an issue that gets handled by the Committee. The CC may not want to take the torch on one hand, but on the other hand he is obligated to perform (or oversee) the Committee responsibilities. That includes recruitment of a new CM. Thinking you have to do it all is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Thanks for the ideas. And yes all boys in Web 1 den born in 2001, But if you read my post we are not crossing them.The Troop is not part of our CO. I do not feel its a one man show. The other leaders do there share.Exp,

we had 7 of us on staff at district day camp.They have ran District Derby, Teached at Belt loop days,Activity Badge weekends and so on. They just do not want to run the show.

The COR CC and Commettee are all fill spots. I know this is not buy the book but thats just how it is. Alot of Units I know in our Council have a simalar deal. They just make it work somehow. I guess when the time comes I will just set down the bag of rocks and see who picks it up.