Getting adults involved making outings happen

I dont know why it would be hard to find adults to get involved, recently we have painted a picture of what is needed:

First off, no experience as a Cub Leader, because of course Cub Leaders are bad, and will turn the Troop into a WebIII program without a doubt. Maybe after a break they can come back, but the jury is pretty much still out on that

They need to wear the Uniform, but only to the local parochial standards. I mean, if soneone wears a sharp uniform, all parts in the plces they belong down to the socks and belt and hat, well then. There has to be something wrong there somewhere. And if he/she comes wearing knots? WOW, time to run faster away than MIB should be running from his situation

Course they need to be trained, so we will send them the Distrct/Council Training which we all know is run by dunderheads and pretty much well acomplished all around idiots. And then when they come back spouting rules about no sheath knives, or conversely, you can have a sheath knife, the unit institutional instruction begins as they learn not how its done in the BSA, but how we do it here. Of course, no one will help the District teach things correctly because somebody tried to 5 years ago and two trainig chairs back and they were rebuffed so its no use to try

If a lot of adults want to come on Campouts, well we cant have that. We limit adults on the events because thats what we do. We want you when we want you. Not before we need you and will whine how unresponsive you are when you could not telepathically know we need you

Dont know why out units are not brimming over with adults(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

In theory, is it not the obligation of the Committee Chair to educate parents about the adult role in Scouting? Is it not the obligation of the Committee to be sure parent are kept informed? It was once.

As for the adult role, it's not in or out/you don't want me or you do. It's what is is: doing for the Scouts what they cannot do for themselves - being resources. That role would include providing transportation and required adult supervision for activities. I don't think that role is hard for most adults to understand even if it is hard for many to execute. And if no one explained, then one might be confused. If you are more comfortable characterizing this role as "We want you when we want you," you are 100% correct - and sound pretty unhappy.

"Welcome to the Troop X family, Mr. and Mrs. A, B, C, D, etc. On the board are the tasks (not titles) we have as adults in that family. Which of these tasks would you be most comfortable doing? You would know better than I do. Keeping the medical forms up to date? Arranging transportation?"

Parents "welcomed" at any activity? Well, in the nicest possible way, emphatically no. Not excluded but no "open door" policy either. This is the time when the boys are learning to leave the nest - to become independent actors in life and leaders of their peers. If Mom and Dad are always there, you simply do not get the desired effect. That would be Cubbing - family-centered. This is Scouting - boy gang centered.

Speaking of Cubbing, very, very few of the Commissioned Scouts I have encountered in three councils were not adults in Cubbing before they were adults in Scouting. That includes not just unit Scouters but the district and council-level volunteer leaders, the SE of my current council (who has a son in Cubbing), the CD of this year's Wood Badge course (and the last five such courses to my knowledge), and our Council Training Chair. I had three years in Cubbing, and I am prepared to deal with anyone who might give me a hard time about it. Just never had the occasion. I keep hearing about this prejudice against Cubbing experience, but I have missed it in 42 years in the program.

I to wish things were better - even perfect. What things? Training. Human relations. All things great and small. But you know, we just have imperfect clay to deal with. Too bad they are not all perfect like us. 0___0

Second,

While the situation that you describe is unreasonable - and unfortunate behavior in terms of the long-term survival prospects for the unit, such situations are hardly unique to Scouting. Many unreasonable demands are made on us. Government demands alone are an entire category.

Transportation is a Committee function and the Committee should explain that what you describe is not "kind" and cannot go on if the troop wants the resource that adult drivers provide. If controlling adult numbers means THAT much, the camping sites need to be MUCH closer.

B.S.A. offers training on conflict resolution.

Tahawk,

I disagree in terms of parents. I think troops should welcome parents. My observation is that the Scouts that stick with Scouting have parents involved, either as committee members or as SM/ASM. That said, parents on campouts doesn't mean that the kids are interacting with their parents all the time (or much at all). I rarely talk to my sons on campouts. I make them call me Mr., just like all the rest of the boys do. They have to ask permission to come to the adult area, just like the rest of the boys. I think all parents (or at least one of each kid's parents) should show up at least at one campout. It helps to reinforce what the troop is doing. It also lets parents realize that their sons are much more capable than they realized.

As CC, it is my job to make sure everyone has the correct--and needed--information. When I started last year, I had no idea what we were doing, what was needed, who was who...and I was completly overwhelmed. So, I make sure I'm able to answer questions via phone, email or face-to-face; that I have the paperwork they need or know who is who.

As CC, it is my job to try to get parents involved. I do the usual "chain emails" so that everyone has an idea of what is coming, and then if no one bites, I go to the face-to-face "your scout needs you to be involved with this" speech. I very rarely get a no with that tactic. Next year, I'm moving us into the "every one gets a job" group...I don't care if you work with the den on a skit, teach the pack sign language or donate a new PWD track..everyone has to do something. (this may take me a year or two, but I have 3 left, so by the time I leave, it should be in full play...and will make things easier for the incoming CC).

All I can say is that you need to sit down with parents--one or two at a time-- and tell them that if they don't come to help, you may have to cancel the baseball camping--and their scout is really looking forward to it, so can they please not disappoint their scout?