I would like to explore your thoughts on the E-chit or electronics chit discussed in the other thread

Devices it should include.

Rules. Fire and toten

Manners.

Post them up.....I am going to institute this in our troop when I become SM.

I believe this is something the Scouts want...

Personally, I don't really care for the idea. Then again, I'm not sure I care for the idea of of the Toten/Firemen Chit cards either. (But that might be because every time I try to type "chit," the first letter ends up being an "s").

I can see some validity to having a "certification program" for sharp things and fire due to the safety risks involved. But I'm not sure how you would justify a similar program for electronics?

Where do you draw the line - cell phones, MP3 players, cameras, flashlights, wrist watches...? I suppose a kazoo or harmonica could be used inappropriately - do we need a "handheld musical instrument chit?"

I think I agree with what you said in the original thread - electronic use is acceptable as long as the behavior is appropriate and respectful. But we can manage that by modeling good behavior, and correcting bad behavior. I don't think another "paperwork program" would really help with that.

KC brings up a good point, the constantly mutating nature of the devices. I used to depend heavily on my Palm PDA until a technophobe boss banned it. 3x5 cards are just not the same. As for manners there is no way to know if a boy is websurfing or looking up a relevant point when I was talking about something. I told one boy to put one away and he was actually taking notes on it.

A Card has the advantage of having boys earn the privilege as an incentive to learning the rules and as something to take away from them. I would not like the extra administration.

I think some basic concepts:

Be part of the conversation around you. Tune into our campfires.

Ask if you may use a tool. Ask how you may use your device to improve the life of the troop.

Earn money and pay for your own devices.

No cussing. Whatever the medium.

Buddy system. Don't browse alone.

Discard batteries safely.

Gotta talk to the GF? Your fellow scouts have the right to say 'Hi'! (This roughly parallels our social policy in the Crew. On activities, you are not sole property of your GF/BF. There is no "snogging time".)

Not all of these need to be on the chit. For example GF issues only apply to some boys. Even "campfires" may be too specific.

K

You probably have it right. We don't need another adult driven political nightmare. Just teach responsible utilization.

The summer camp we attend has a zero cellphone policy for youth. Get caught with one you get sent home, zero exceptions.

So guess we will speak with the PLC about coming up with some training for the Troop.

The "Tech Chip" is at http://boyscouttrail.com/content/award/tech_chip-2052.asp

The idea is to teach scouts appropriate ways to use technology rather than ban/confiscate/restrict their use. The card isn't important; it's just something the scouts like to collect and a tangible reminder.

In our world, electronic devices are part of life. They are tools to be used or abused just like woods tools and fire. When I hear that a troop or camp bans electronics, I get a mental image of an ostrich with its head in the sand.

If you let the SPL and PLC run the show, they can present the training and ensure their troop follows their guidelines. It's yet another opportunity for the guys to teach and lead.

Time for a poll?

a) we should have an e-chit covering devices, uses, etc

b) we should get rid of all those "chits" and simply have adult and green bar leaders hold scouts accountable for responsible use of anything that can be dangerous if mishandled.

No chit.

Have adults guide and coach the youth leaders and the youth. For electronics, teach youth leaders common techniques for dealing with electronics such as waiting until it's put away to continue or asking the person to step away or other. It's our job as leaders to guide the youth and to teach youth how to leader other youth.

I've never cared for the "If I see it, you lose it" approach. I wouldn't respect a boss who did it to me and I suspect scouts roll their eyes at such threats.

A phone is a tool just like an ax, knife, stove, tent or rain coat. We warn parents that scouts lose and break stuff. Happens all the time. It's their risk, not ours.

As a side note, we often say equipment is built for commercial use (flimsy), heavy duty, industrial or scout use. Things just don't take a worse beating.

(This message has been edited by fred8033)