What does an Eagle scout receive from National or local council, what do you guys usually get fromt he troop?

Hi All!

I'm very proud to say that my first Eagle scout candidate made Eagle last week since I took over as Scoutmaster in 2010! He also has enough Merit badges and time to make Silver Palm too, the first in our troop's history of 50 years ;-)

I was shocked this weekend when I turned in his final paperwork to the scout store when they told me that all he'll get in the mail from Council or National is a wallet card and a certificate. The troop has to purchase the "Eagle kit" with the medal/pins/rank patch for $24.95... I was a bit shocked, but I guess I shouldn't be as I've always felt that Council and National is more after the $$$$ than the boys these days.... Myself and my leaders are all there for he boys, so we'll do what's right by THEM :-)

So I ordered a Flag that was flown over the Capitol building in DC,

a letter from the President

A letter from the Senator

The Eagle kit from the shop

what else do you guys usually do for your Eagle recipients?

What do you see your Eagle recipients receiving from National or from your local councils?

thanks all!

Mike B

Yes, unfortunately that IS all you get from council/National. I like to get letters from as many important/influential people as possible including:

-Living Ex-Presidents and First Ladies

-State and Federal Reps and Senators in your district. (invite the state folks, they often DO come, and will bring certificates/state flags..at least here in Mass.)

-Find out who the Eagle Scout idolizes and try to get a letter from that person--you'll be surprised how many DO respond!

-Letters from your Town/City officials--they love doing it!

-The Flag is a great idea! Just make sure you order it at least 90 days before the ECOH! I've gotten the cancelled check back sunfaded from sitting in someone's windowsill!

You can get all the contact info from Google...try "Eagle Scout Letters" or some variation. The last ECOH I put together was in 2006, and that worked for me--sometimes you can fax requests in, saving time and postage.

Good luck and HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!

Congratulations to your new Eagle Scout, to your troop, and to you!

When I got my Eagle (nearly five years ago), I went to the council headquarters to pick up my "Eagle Award" which was the certificate, national and local council scout executive letters, the wallet card, and the medal. My troop had a policy of "upgrading" the medal by paying the $6 extra on the Eagle's behalf to the Scout Shop in order to acquire the "Eagle Scout Award Kit."

Just a suggestion: I don't know if the "normal" Eagle Badge is still included in the kit for the years a special Eagle badge is issued but, if it is, I would be sure to pick up a "Centennial Eagle" badge for your Eagle since this year is the 100th anniversary of the award.

yes, the Centennial badge is in the kit, and I picked up an extra one as well. so it sounds like Council does give a bit, but you'd think that they'd give them the full Eagle kit instead of the troop having to buy it ;(

I'm in SE Mass as well Frank! I Scott Brown's office has always been *very* accommodating for letters and such, to the point they've overnighted one that was needed in a hurry... guess my taxes actually picked that cost up, but it was great to be asked to have it overnighted.

I've put in a request for him to attend the ECoH, and the local selectman always attends our major events.

I ordered the flags for 3 of my potential next Eagles last year... his was one of them. I figured I'd rather have them on hand than have to scramble to get them.

I'm really proud of my boys! :-)

thanks guys!

Mike B

Just wonder what your expectation was for what came from National? As far as I know, the local troop, or family has always had to purchase the actual award and related paraphernalia. I did not even get a "large" certificate in 1959, only a card and letter. Of course, then the award was only the medal and patch; no additional pins and so on. It was sterling back then though; now the basic one is some kind of cast metal. If you want to spring for the sterling, it still is available, but considerably more costly.

Yep, how dare a business not give their products and services away for free!

In all seriousness, my previous council did provide one set of the Eagle badge and medal, and maybe a parent or mentor pin. It was paid for from the FOS fund.

My troop traditionally supplemented that with the blue Eagle neckerchief, and a plaque. We also had a tradition where an Eagle neckerchief slide was passed from one Eagle to the next, which I thought was pretty cool. Some of the parents would work on getting a collection of congratulatory letters from celebrities, and usually one of the US Capitol flags. The troop would also generally allocate a reasonable amount of money to get an additional unique gift for the Scout.

I honestly don't see National or the council having any obligation to provide anything other than some formal documentation that the Scout completed the requirements to earn the award. National is a business which provides resources, services and supplies. I think it's a nice gesture if the council offers to cover the cost of certain award items, but I don't see it having any obligation to do so. If nothing else, it gives people an opportunity to be smug about how no one but them is "in it for the boys" :-)

Our council does the kit that includes a mentor pin as well, and it is sent at no charge to the troop (the kit that is). We've only had one boy earn Eagle in the past 7+ years and his mother tried to wave off any recognition (she dislikes the appearance of a fuss being made about her family in any way) and finally agreed to a modest Eagle CofH.

It might be that the local council has a sponsor for the Eagle kits. I really don't know. But I do know that local photographers in the Las Vegas area vie for Eagle portraits and offer then sans sitting fee and also provide the family with one copy free of charge. I'm sure they are hoping for multiple copy orders as a result. The Scout Shop has an Eagle wall where the latest Eagles are exhibited until bumped to make room for more.

We should have another boy earn his this year, and plan on a much more appropriate ceremony. I did, however, find out the last time that the Knights of Pythias apparently are not sending their congratulatory letters any more.

RR

My expectation was that the Eagle recipient receive the Eagle kit, necker, and slide from council and perhaps a certificate to frame on the wall.

It came as a shock to me that all they'd receive is a wallet card and a letter from council.

I didn't have to pay for my own woodbadge class B/beads/necker/slide in addition to the course fees.... I wasn't expecting to have to pay for the Eagle kit... although we have to buy all the other rank patches so I don't know why this surprised me so much....

Great suggestions guys! I actually forgot about the necker and slide... I'll have to pick them up this week and add them to the list for future Eagles.

Mike B

When I earned Eagle in '77, the troop had to buy the kit. National provided a certificate, card and letter. So it's looking like a longstanding tradition. Frankly, I don't think National has an obligation to provide anything other than the paper credentials. There being a variety of options for medals (full Eagle kit or just the medal; basic medal or upgrade to sterling silver), probably best to let the troop and family decide what they want to pay for (or council).

The congratulation letter collections are "new" to me. Not sure when they got popular--perhaps the early '90s. My troop provided the medal kit and a Buck knife, an off the shelf folding Ranger, which was a big deal to the scouts.(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

If this is not a recent development, then our council pays for the Eagle kit. I have been out of a troop now for 3 years, but we did one just before I left.. The Eagle kit still came with the card and certificate. Then our Troop bought the frame for the certificate that has a shadow box for the pin, and we bought the 2nd pin.

I know it all comes in one big envelope to the SM house, so I always thought the whole sha-bang was from council. Perhaps it goes to council. Council adds the Eagle kit then the package comes from Council??

Either that or the kit has recently been excluded from the kit. Weird thing was I noted with my son, that the Eagle kit had a nicer badge in it then the single badge replacement I bought for his kit.. It seemed heavier medal, and the mold was more detailed. (My son was I think the second Eagle after a 10 year lull. We bought the frame as a parent gift, before knowing that is what the troop wanted to do as tradition.)

Our troop also retires the flag that flew with the troop, and gives it to the scout. But the scout if he wants has to get the triangle shadow box for it. Once we had 2 boys have their ceremony together, and had to switch flags so both flags got flown before giving to the boys.

Exibar-

"I didn't have to pay for my own woodbadge class B/beads/necker/slide in addition to the course fees."

No, because the cost of those items was INCLUDED in your course fee.

Remember that ALL National gets from the Scouts is the membership fees. Nothing else. So how/why assume they'd get a lot of stuff from that?

Usually the unit buys the kit. But you can buy everything individually, i.e. just the medal, patch, knot, and mom's pin.

Now I know some council's have a sponsor who pay's for all the Eagle Presentation Kits. I think my council still does that, but am not sure. It was a hefty sum if I recall back in the day as I had to secure that.

One year my council also gave every Eagle Scout a James E. West Fellowship. They had a substantial bequest that year, and part of it was to recognize all the Eagles and the office staff with a fellowship.

For about a year or so we received the Eagle kits for no cost, as one of the local service clubs (VFW, Elks, etc.) supplied the kits. That ran out and now we must purchase them.

In addition, our troop supplies an NESA membership, NESA neckerchief, we frame the certificates, and also give the moms a dozen roses. We also supply refreshments for the ceremony.

Just had three scouts receive Eagle last week!

The Eagle kit was previously supplied by a corporate donor, alas, no more. The troop pays for that now, as it does for all advancement items.

The certificate comes from national. That's all we do.

With NESA lifetime memberships at $250.00, framing, etc., that's not worked into our budget.