Do people do this in your area? Sign their emails with their entire Scouting resume?

Sincerely,

Joe Blow

ASM, Troop 1

Troop Guide, Wood Badge S4-12

NYLT ASM

Vice Chapter Adviser

District Asst. Training Chairman

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a little electronic square knots they can add to the bottom of emails.

Sheeeesh

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a couple people like that and I still like them. They're good scouters and their heart is in the right spot.

But, I get where you're coming from. You don't need everybody's resume on the signature line of the email or letter they sent.

If I send something out, I use the title that I'm sending it under that pretense. i.e. Cubmaster Pack XXX or Asst Scoutmaster Troop XXX.

I've seen that. I just laugh. Personally I rarely do more than just my first name. If I have to email people from other ships that I haven't met or talked to before I will do my full name, and ship name, but that is rare.

I've seen that on a few. Since I do email from an internet service rather then outlook, I have no stamped signature..

First letter might get my full name with "xxxxxx district Training Chair".. Second maybe my full name.. Third you are lucky to get my first name..

Some people have a lot of scouting e-mail that they send out and they hold different positions. Maybe for them it is easier to just have an automatic signature stamp that lists them all so that recipients know who he is.

Personally, I just put my name and whatever position is relevant to that e-mail, just to give people context. So if I am e-mailing the entire pack about awards, I will sign my name and then just say "Awards Chair". If I am e-mailing some district person, I include the pack number.

For me it depends on if you know me or not. If I am e-mailing the local schools to get into them for a recruiting night I sign them Paul XXX Committe Chair Pack XXX, If I am sending an email to the Pack, or someone that I know outside the pack (that would be you Moosetracker) I sign it Paul.

LOL. Yah, TwoCubDad, I reckon there's a market for an app that automatically includes your rows of knots along the bottom of the email. ;)

Honestly, signature lines are a courtesy usually used to automatically include your alternative contact information so that someone who decides they need to call yeh about the email can do so without flailin' around searching various directories. I can see relevant title for an initial, out-of-the-blue contact just so someone yeh don't know can get a context for your note.

Otherwise it's more than a bit silly. If you're sending to fellow scouters or to your unit, do yeh think they don't know you're the SM or something? ;)

Beavah

Way way back I worked in a Hospital as the Radiology Dept head. Got a new boss who sent around a notice for a Dept head meeting of all of her minions to talk about how she was going to re-structure things.

It was in memo form and behind her name, she had her credentials so it looked like this:

Nancy Nurse, RN, MSN

So I thought, wow, I had never thought of adding credentials to my name, I thought my title was enough and as most people knew who the dept managers were nothing else was needed, but OK, I could do that as well. I sent my RSVP and had in the form line the following

OldGreyEagle R.T.®ARRT MPA

It's not important to know what the aplphabet soup means, it's just what most people in my role had. The next memo I got from Nancy just had her name in the from line. I dropped my alphabet soup as well and nothing was ever said about it.

I actually appreciate the info since I often deal with people I know only a little bit. So no problem with all your titles. I'm bad with names so it helps me remember you. Just tell me in the email which crew/pack/troop/committee this is referencing to be clear.

For example: Do you want me to help your Crew 123 or Troop 123 shoot shotguns in April?(This message has been edited by airborneveteran)

Depending upon what the email is about and to whom I do add stuff. Stuff sent to folks I work with on a regular basis, ie pack folks, district folks, etc. no mention of things.

But if I send something out as RT commissioner to a bunch of folks I don't know, or a list of folks with a mix of people I know and don't know, then I usually put on the title that corresponds. I'd don't put everything in it.

OGE,

In my neck of the woods, the PTB want the credentials after your name that are relevent to your job. So ID badge, business cards, email, etc have the "MLS" after it.

Most of my outgoing emails are just signed with my first name.

But since I represent our Lodge with a few Section events, I include my Lodge name and position whenever emailing the Section or the other Lodges. I only see those individuals once or twice a year, so I think it helps with context.

But I don't think I would ever think of puting an entire resume in my email.