The only kid I ever do anything one-on-one with is my own.

Perhaps why parents are the most likely to abuse kids.

Do yeh sit down with your spouse and tell her "there have been X number of parental abuse cases in this county, Y number in this state, and Z number in the country. The rate is higher for non-custodial, non-biological parents like myself. There is a finite chance that at some point I may abuse your son."?

Inquiring minds want to know.

This sort of thing is just warning label nonsense. Like the disclaimers on ladders warning that if you climb a ladder you may fall off and hurt yourself. If you are a parent and you're not aware that there is a (very) small but finite chance that your child may be abused by family members, friends, coaches, teachers, scout leaders, ministers, or other adults in his/her life, then I'm not sure putting a warning label on every youth activity is goin' to be productive because you're just an idiot.

Yep, if yeh do anything other than lock your child in a padded room accessible only by three keys held by different, unrelated people that must all be present to open the door, and with a live video feed goin' to two independent law enforcement agencies, your child stands a chance of being exposed to drug and alcohol use, sex, values that differ from those you want to teach/indoctrinate, bullying, abuse, mayhem, violence, random acts of God, injury, illness, mental illness, and death.

Have a nice day!

Beavah

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lean toward, not having a statue if there is DNA evidence, and a match comes in 20 years later.. But, I have only heard the pros for waving the statue for DNA.. I could be swayed to the other side if someone has a good arguement against it.

DNA evidence is more appropriate for exonerating an innocent person than it is for proving guilt. A DNA "match" only means there's a possibility the accused person is the real criminal, it doesn't prove it. Your DNA - at least as far as DNA testing technology goes - is not unique. With theoretically perfect performance by the lab technicians doing the test, there's a 1 in 1000 chance of a mistaken match. Actual error rates are inevitably far higher. It's not the magic technology CSI: Bakersfield (or whatever the current incarnation is) makes it out to be.

Where DNA evidence is most useful is in ruling out suspects. If there isn't a match, then it wasn't you. If there is a match, it might have been you, but DNA by itself is not proof. There has to be other corroborating evidence. If you waive the statute of limitations on DNA, you'd have to waive it on the corroborating evidence too.

"Perhaps why parents are the most likely to abuse kids."

Overall, for all types of abuse...quite true.

For sexual abuse ... not so ... gave you that data long ago Beav ... you just don't want to listen to it... and that's the problem in the organizations .. BSA, LDS, Catholic Church, Sports Orgs.

E92 - No offense intended ... but it happens.

Travel teams ... yep. BTDT. At least one parent was required to travel on the one I was associated with, no exceptions. But they all have their own rules ... and no regulations ... they don't even have to be affiliated with a league... that's where the crap happens like that guy from Penn State. They injure far too many players as well.

Drop-off, pick-up parents... I didn't permit them with my younger teams, if the parent left, they got a call to come pick up their player ... with my older team, 1/2 the players drive themselves to practices and games. But even with that I never have fewer than 6 parents and 3 coaches at any given event...parents seem to want to be involved.

I don't know that BSA (or any other child service organization) is going to do to fix it. BSA and the churches seem to have it the worst off...since they've spent so many years and so much effort trying to hide it.

My own challenge will be if I ever go back to coaching the younger ages again. But I may decide to hang it up after my son is done...just to avoid the problem....and the injuries to my knees, elbows and shoulders.

Actually, my first YP course was from a camp committee chair who was well informed. He did go over number of incidents/allegations and described some of them in detail, including how they were handled. One of them did involve our troop.

Nobody ran for the door.

• 3 months later...

Followup: Scouts Canada "files" independent audit by KPMG

CBC News

Posted: Jun 25, 2012 11:35 AM ET

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/06/25/scouts-canada-reports.html

Steve Kent, chief commissioner and chair of the board of governors for Scouts Canada, says the review by audit firm KPMG "found no systemic intent to cover up or hide incidents of abuse," though it did uncover cases where the youth organization did not handle incidents "with the rigour we would expect."

"When the organization's child and youth protection policies and practices were recently challenged, Scouts Canada took an honest, open and transparent approach that confronted both the good and the bad of its history," the organization said in a release Friday.

"The KPMG review of suspension and termination files is a thorough, arm's-length review of all records held by Scouts Canada related to the suspension and/or termination of volunteer leaders for sexual misconduct with youth covering 64 years, from 1947 to 2011."

From Globe and Mail

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/scouts-canada-says-it-must-fix-problems-in-handling-abuse-cases/article4367804/

"Information on 65 cases, about one-fifth of them after 1992, was not given to police when allegations surfaced. And for another 64 cases, roughly split between pre- and post-1992, there were not sufficient records to be sure the cases were reported.

All 129 of these cases have now been handed over to police, Mr. Kent said. He would offer no details of the individual circumstances, citing the active investigations, but suggested the cases spanned the country."

The review looked at 486 records covering over a period of 64 years. It lasted seven months and a 51-page report released Monday was delivered to Scouts Canada last Thursday. The review identified findings in five specific areas: records management, governance, contact with authorities, suspensions and terminations and other observations.

(This message has been edited by RememberSchiff)