Options other than the BSA

Ok, I think I understand

If you want to know what it would be like to have the female BPSA scouts show up though, I may have had a glimpse. Back about 2003 the COuncil had a Camporee, all the Distrcts were there, and it was for Troops and Crews. The FRiday night event was watching a movie out doors, as Dusk was falling they started with music video's, just as the female dominsted crew I was associated with got the entrance point, "Girls just want to have fun" started. So, the crew "Danced" down the center aisle, singing as loud as they could the chorous. It may have been the first time many saw a Female Venturer in the first place. The place went wild, or most of the boys did at least

Those were the days my friend, I'd thought they never end, we'd sing and dance forever and a day, we'd live the life we'd choose fight and never lose...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey BD,

The BPSA does looks like it could be a viable solution to those troops wanting to do a more traditional outdoor program, without all the bureaucracy and headaches of National and Council executives who are solely focused on money and turning scouting into a classroom experience. Program and focus would then fall to the troop leadership.

OGE

Only if it falls within BSA's current advancement guidelines and restrictions, which again is more currently geared to sitting on your butt in a class then getting outdoors and exploring nature. Many of the troops and crews in my council who are geared to getting back to the original scoutcraft skills, such as pioneering, have to violate the guidelines as to the creation and use of towers and monkey bridges for example. Even you OGE should be able to comprehend that.

Come on folks; if you want an alternative, it is there, even if you may have to go to more than one group. If you are that disenchanted, then that may simply be your best solution. It is pretty obvious that a few are not content within the BSA systems, and keep complaining and knocking it. Work within it, find personal and local solutions, or go somewhere else. As I have stated previously, if you are so unhappy with BSA that you can find little positive to say here, then I am concerned as to how you come across to those with whom you work.

Scouting, within the BSA organization or elsewhere is still a choice. My experience has shown that most people that "constantly" have mostly negative things to say about something in which they participate, carry a similar attitude to other associations. Dwelling on the negatives constantly is not conducive to a happy involvement and likely not a particularly happy life.

JMHO

Always thought that was one of the best uses of Tamborines in pop music other than:

Drop your silver in my tambourine

Help a poor man fill his pretty dream

Give me pennies I'll take anything

Now listen while I play

My green tambourine

That should keep you busy

For generations, I have noted with interest that there is always a minority who think we are in the End Days of Scouting, locally or nationally.

I was told in 1959 that allowing Explorers to bring dates to Post "socials" was the BEGINNING OF THE END. (.... like rabbits.")

I was told in 1964 that the decisions to go to a "plastic" uniform, abandon the First Class Badge as Scouting's emblem, downplay the Campaign Hat, and allow (although discouraged) chemical stoves were all symptoms of the last stages of rot. ("I mean stoves! STOVES!!!! What are we coming to?")

In 1989, I was told that the many errors of the soon-to-be-involuntarily-retired SE doomed Scouting in my Council. ("It's only a matter of a couple of years and there won't be any more Troops here.")

And so it goes.

Do you really sell Scouters so short as to believe that, despite the changes propelled by the Age of the Lawsuit and despite wrong-footing at local or corporate HQ, no significant number of Scouters are capable of teaching and coaching Scouts to plan and lead an exciting outdoor-oriented program? Where do you think the bulk of the talent is in Scouting? At corporate HQ?

If we survived the "Improved Scouting Program" (40 years ago!!) banning signal towers is not even a bump in the road. A couple of adults within screaming distance is not the problem. What is in their heads -- contrary to less-than optimal (but clear enough) official Scouting teaching -- is the problem, and that was the problem in 1954. Some adults seems incapable of "getting it" when it comes to youth leading - now, in 1908, and in every other year of Scouting in the U.S.

Scouters with whom I disagree on many things balance that by being resources for exciting Scouting. Then there are those whose only "contribution" is to complain - and announce that The End is Coming.

The crusty old Ranger at Camp Rokili in the 1950's had a sign on his desk. "If you can't find anything good to say about the Camp, the door is behind you. Please don't let it hit you in the butt as you leave." While he did use "please," that message was not as gentrified as BP's words urging those who cannot support the program to leave. The point was and is the same.

If you are a registered Scouter, you voluntarily agreed to support the program. Those who are not Scouters are, of course, not honor-bound by the Oath or Law.

Getting back to the OP ... when my daughter was younger, I looked into Camp Fire USA. There were no units or organization in my area. The closest leaders were about 2-3 hours away, and that group seemed to be dead on its feet anyway. The program looked lackluster. I was not impressed.

She's now in Girl Scouts, and loving it.

TAHAWK,

Bravo! Well said. You made my day.

I keep reading all these naysayers talking about how scouting has turned into a parlor activity with kids sitting on their butts in classrooms. Where? I've been associated with my current troop since 2005 and while we meet weekly and do have skill sessions during meetings, we are a boy led, outdoor troop. We alternate between Philmont and Northern Tier from year to year and on the odd occasion that we didn't get a slot, we plan treks in places like the Pecos Wilderness. This past summer was the first time we took a crew to Seabase. While the boys enjoyed it, they said it was more like a vacation and too costly. Don't know if we'll do that again. Our 2012 Philmont crew has been on a hiking and backpacking regimen since last fall. We camp every month, regardless of weather. Since 2005, the only time I remember a campout being cancelled was when there was two inches of ice on the roads and it was the CC who made the call because the SM still wanted to go. One other time we came home on a Saturday because it started sleeting and freezing rain and the tents were failing. Is every troop like ours? No. As the OA Chapter Adviser, I get to visit all the troops in my district and I can only think of 1 troop out of 24 that fit the bill as parlor scouts. They had a kid make Eagle Scout the same time as my son in 2010 who only had 24 total days of camping. My son was over 200. While many of the other troops in our district don't have the resources our large troop has to pull off their own high adventure program, they are all outdoor oriented and camp every month. The boys all seem to be happy. I think scouting is doing just fine in my neck of the woods......and probably in most others as well. Some folks refuse to be satisfied.

On topic, numerous times the Baden Powell Scouting Association has been touted her as an alternative. Each time, I go look at their website......dated 2003....and it has always been under construction. Seems there used to be a single unit in Texas and the last time I looked, their website hadn't been updated in ages. The Baden Powell SERVICE Association is a new one on me. It looks like it might actually be viable, but they use scouting materials from 1938 as the basis of their program. It's up to the observer as to whether that is a good or bad thing.

If I recall correctly, the Baden-Powell Scout Association and the Baden-Powell Service Association are the same group. Apparently the name had to be changed since "Scout" is protected by the BSA's federal charter. That is what I am told, at least. The page for the current incarnation of B-PSA looks like it is fairly up-to-date. I poked around and found that, while they stick with materials from 1938, they have updated their first aid training to fit the 21st century.