office of alumni relations?

I got this email from myscouting.org asking me to join the BSA alumni. I find that amusing, as I was never a boy scout (something to do with being female, I think). When I tried to unsubscribe, I got an error message.

What's up with this? Is it a legit thing? Are there actual benefits to joining, or do they just want more of my money? And why on earth are they sending an invite to me, since I was never a youth member? Yeah, I get that I was an adult leader - but that's like calling a kid's parents alumni of the high school the kid graduates from. Not what "alumni" typically means.

I got a similar request by postcard from Harris Direct, in the name of NESA, asking me to call an 800 number and "confirm my information" for publication in a directory of Eagle Scouts. I have dealt with this company before, and they are in the business of printing "directories" of alumni and other organizations, and then selling them to those printed in the book. I made the mistake of buying one for my High School about 20 years ago. Of course, within a year, it's obsolete as people move and change jobs, etc. I see no purpose for such a directory, other than to make money for the organization sponsoring it and the publishing company.

Run, don't walk in the other direction. NESA did a directory maybe 6 or 7 years ago. I got one thinking it would be nice for the troop to have access to a copy. They're junk. I once went through the directory looking for all the Eagles I knew locally and those from my old troop. Out of about 40 guys I looked for, I found maybe 10 or 12. The guys from my old troop I can understand -- their contact info may have been 30 years old. But anyone I know locally who is an Eagle I know from from their current affiliation with Scouting. I had even provided my brother's info and they still didn't bother to get him listed.

This isn't any pretense of being a directory, it's just a glorified telephone solicitation list.

Yes, the Alumni Association is legit - it was actually started by NESA.

http://www.scouting.org/alumni.aspx

From the web site:

"The Scouting Alumni Association welcomes everyone positively and personally impacted by the Boy Scouts of Americaformer Scouts, family members of Scouts past and present, volunteers past and present, and the millions of Americans who benefit from Scouting in their communities every dayto join today. Enjoy the member benefits and support the good work that the BSA continues in its second century."

If you ever went to a university, or belong to a fraternity or sorority, you know why they have done this. It is a way for them to keep in contact with those who have been part of the movement, and maybe at some point in time, tap their wallet.

Yes, it's a part of National's effort to expand the number of adult Scout leaders.

One of my goals this year as a district leader is to get a list of 50 Scouting Alumni and see how many I can contact and convert into registered district and unit leaders.

My Scout Executive assured me the names and contact information are available for that purpose. I've made a request for that information to my DE, but no lists have been returned to me yet.

The software that B.S.A. wants all councils to use to keep records of the Scouting history of current and former members merely served to destroy my council's records. I got a printout for me and it omits every single actual fact (position, training, event participation) and lists many facts that are all incorrect. For example, it has me taking Commissioner's training in 1910. I'm old, but not that old. (As I told BP, . . . . .) That's two years before B.S.A. arrived in Cleveland and four years before it arrived where I was born.

What they have for me is an email address I seldom check. I dunno about others, but I'm not really inclined to join some alumni group for a volunteer organization. I know what they'll use it for and I'm not real interested in receiving more phone solicitations or more junk mail.

However, I want to make clear, it did not appear to me that they were trying to sell me some kind of vanity directory a la the NESA one. At least, not in the current iteration.

I never took Commissioner's training. Not in 1910 or any other time. The other errors are of the same sort - positions I never held and events I never attended. Also, again, the positions I held, training i took, and events I attended are not listed. SO it's far more than a problem with the software buggering up dates.

So far this group has managed to miss me!!

I'm not sure what is meant by:

" Enjoy the member benefits and support the good work that the BSA continues in its second century."

What benefits?

I'm also far more lightly to support Scouting in the area where I live than support the good work that the BSA might do.

Even though I've not been asked or invited, I think I'll pass.

Eamonn

Eamonn, the benefits are below. Not sure it is worth the $35.

Membership costs $35 annually. Benefits include the following:

■Packet sent upon joining containing an embossed affiliation card, lapel pin, luggage tag, and window cling.

■Quarterly electronic newsletter Alumni Alive! Its a popular, convenient update of all the great happenings within Scouting today.

■Cell phone ring tones of 10 bugle calls. This is fun! Watch for people who think Reveille requires a salute!

■Free one-year membership to the National Scouting Museum. This world-class museum is located in Irving, Texas, across the street from the BSA national office. Membership includes access to the museums quarterly newsletter, Bridges & Trails.

■One-time discount on a purchase from BSA Supply Group. You can purchase online at Scoutstuff.org or in person at a Scout shop at your local council service center.

■And more coming soon.