So, I have a small troop of 8 scouts. We are not associated with a Cub Pack. I need to recruit, and our DE says to recruit at the Webelos Dens, and he gives me a list of the packs with a cubmaster's name and phone and a WDL name and address.

I took an evening and called all the WDL's on the list, and got 3 on the phone. Two said that they would bring their boys over for a visit, and one said he would send the parents an email to the parents, saying that they should visit our troop. I left messages on the phones of the folks I missed. Did not get a return call.

The two dens came for a visit, and our boys lead them in some games. I talked to the leaders, who said that they usually fed their boys to the big troop down the street. The webelos scouts seemed to have a good time.

So, at this point, is it advisable to call these leaders and "invite" myself to their ceremonies, or is there some other way to get in front of these cub scouts and ask them to join. We could do a campout with Cub visitors in the sprint, but I am afraid the crossing over cubs will be crossed over by then. And how do I ask them.

I do not think there is very good coordination between the Cub Scout program and the Boy Scout program. You Webelos Leaders, what is the best way for a scoutmaster to approach you? How did the Pack/Troop relationship come about? What would you do with a guy like me?

al depends where you are at.....

We have fantastic coordination in our Pack and troop program. We met at the same time and location, he webelos to the opening the the troop and then leave to their room to do their program. The webelos also camp with the troop on a couple of occasions during the year.

If you invited yourself to their pack meeting.....bad idea. They may already have a relationship with a troop. I would call and maybe offer the troops services at the Packs campout or Pack meetings.. Send the Pack Den chiefs......

Invite their webelos dens on a Webelos weekend......get with their leaders and see what sort of advancement activities they need.

EagleDad and I are in neighboring districts of the same council and I ditto what he said. Most troops want the crossovers to cross in February and kick off their new scout program in earnest the beginning of March. When I was ASM for our new scout program (15 to 20 new scouts per year), that is what we encouraged the packs to do so we could get some experience and comfort under their belts before summer camp and so we were not having to start new scouts in tiers over several months. As an OA Chapter Adviser, I like to see them cross in February as well because it fits well into our annual planning. That being said, we had one pack/troop that decided to crossover in early December about a week after our ceremony team had began working on the crossover ceremony. We have some that want a ceremony as late as May which we typically won't do because we have Ordeal in May and the team spends much of March and April preparing for that. How they hold Webelos II's until May without a mass mutiny is beyond me.

...that is what we encouraged the packs to do so we could get some experience and comfort under their belts before summer camp and so we were not having to start new scouts in tiers over several months...

SR540Beaver

How do you handle non-Webelos who tend to come in at random points in the year (or maybe cluster at the begining and end of summer)? Are they able to jump into your NSPs and catch up?

JM,

Honestly, that is a rare occurence, but it has happened on occasion. We'll take any boy at any time and integrate them in with the NSP and work with them. We don't really try to catch them up as they all move at their own pace. What we do as a troop is present a program that covers all of the rank requirements in the hopes that they will take advantage of it. We don't teach them something and automatically sign off because they were present.

Find a way to call the parents and scouts that came to visit. Ask them if they've chosen a troop, ask them to take another look at yours.

You have a small troop and are probably going to have to work harder than others to get your recruits.

One model I've been thinking about lately is the college coach-high school prospect: a couple of contacts throughout the year including a personal home visit from the coach.

This could translate to inviting some Web IIs to a campout during the summer or fall and then a personal visit from you and maybe your SPL.

One of the things I think really works is to build a relationship with the pack. Our pack had until recently a close relationship with a troop. They lent us the use of their hall for B&G, their scouts always volunteered for den chief duty and for help during big events (i.e. PWD, B&G, bounce back, etc). So for a several years, most boys would just naturally cross over there as a matter of course.

Then recently, they started taking the pack for granted...and last year no one crossed over there. Amazing how easily you can damage relationships.

The best advice I can give (and already saw mentioned) is to offer Den Chiefs to the pack. Let your boys know how important it is to keep your troop healthy by getting new scouts each year to come in, and hopefully they'll be willing to be a Den Chief (an ACTIVE Den Chief!). When those cub scouts see the older boys in their uniform, acting in a leadership role, they will most certainly want to be like them!

Our pack and troop have a pretty good relationship. We have a campout each fall very nearby and invite the Webelos to come out and stay the night Friday night. They learn how to set up their tents, and on Saturday we do scout skills stations led by the boys such as fire building, first aid and knot tying. They get to cook their meals, and we have a big campfire with skits on Saturday evening that we invite the parents to. We also make sure to invite them to a troop meeting in January, to fulfill their Arrow of Light requirements.

You can't make them come to your troop, but if you put on a good program, they'll start coming for the fun!

Develop a relationship with the Pack(s) will take efforts and times ... as others have suggested ... Den Chiefs are the first steps. As momo pointed out, lend them a helping hand at Pinewood Derby, Blue & Gold, Bike Rally, etc. Offer to take them on at Webelos Woods. In our troop, we did all those and then we invite the Webelos 1 & 2 to our "Scout Skills Day" where we host the webelos and teach them a few skills that the boys will learn in scouting (knot typing, fishing, setting up tents, cooking) etc. It's a 4 hours on a Saturday. If you don't talk to them until cross-over time, they won't know you. Personally, as a scoutmaster, I make myself visible at a couple of the Packs' functions. Of course my favorite would be pinewood derby. Of course, I have slowed my efforts down quite a bit, but no pain ... no gain. This year, we are poised to get 32 Webelos 2 from 2 Packs. It's a good problem to have to a certain point.

1Hour

So, I have a small troop of 8 scouts. We are not associated with a Cub Pack. I need to recruit, and our DE says to recruit at the Webelos Dens, and he gives me a list of the packs with a cubmaster's name and phone and a WDL name and address.

As a Cubmaster, I would welcome your call and so would my Webelos leader.  We often find ourselves reaching out to Troops when it really should be the other way around.

Our Pack has a long-time relationship with a Troop XYZ in town and we have often provided new scouts for them.  We are in close proximity to them which has fostered the relationship over the years.  They assume, by tradition, that we will bring them new boys year-after-year.  Well, this year none of our Webelos Scouts will be going that Troop and that took them by surprise.  The main reason I believe the Webelos did not choose Troop XYZ is because the SM and CC did not return phone calls or e-mails in a timely manner.  In some cases, they failed to call back.  This did not leave a good impression for me and the Webelos leader.  We always let the Webelos decide what Troop they want to go to, but I can tell you that I did not make any recommendations that they should consider Troop XYZ.  Troop leadership that does not return calls is a Troop that does not need any new recruits.

Lesson:  Do not assume that a Pack that is in near proximity to your Troop will be knocking on your door.  Reach out to them and invite them to your Troop activities and campouts.

The crossover from our feeder Pack happens in late April.

We do a joint camping trip in early April, which includes a morning service project, and then an afternoon with joint Pack / Troop activities including campcraft and scoutcraft demonstrations and fun games. On Saturday evening we do a Pack/Troop campfire with songs and skits. This let's the Cubs and parents see the Troop in action and have a fun night of camping in what is usually pretty nice weather.

As others have said, I wouldn't do a crossover any earlier because of weather - the new Scouts would not be able to go on the harder cold weather camping trips - so I wouldn't want them spinning their wheels.

Once crossed over, the new Scouts join the Troop on our fair weather May and June camping trips, then off to summer camp. As they do more and more camping trips they are ready for cold weather camping come winter.

In addition, the Pack does not want to make the B&G any more complicated or longer with the addition of another ceremony.

What we do as a troop is present a program that covers all of the rank requirements in the hopes that they will take advantage of it.

That makes sense. Especially since most of the T-2-1 requirements can be done in any order, whatever is going on when they join is probalby something they can take advantage of.

We don't teach them something and automatically sign off because they were present.

I wish the troop running Trail to First Class last year at our District MB clinic did things your way!

Thanks SR540,

Feb - Blue and Gold - Cross the bridge to Boy scouts

Mar - 1st troop meeting

Mar - pinewood derby. 2nd year Webelos den and especially the leaders don't want to do yet another derby. Let 'em focus on becoming a boy scout.