Unit College Scouter Reserve 92U

Has anybody heard about this new category to register 18-21 years olds when they age out of the troop but still want to stay connected with the troop? I haven't heard anything from my council but have seen information about it on other council websites.

Here is a link with information on the program: http://www.scouting.org/Training/TrainingUpdates/Archives/201111.aspx

sm1983bsa

We normally would change them to ASM but now that will require training beyond YPT.

The old 92 category doesn't keep them on the troop's roster. They became a council level resource. 92U is unit level.

SM1983BSA

Papa,

These 92U guys are usually those who have aged out and want to remain active whenever they can when they are away at college or doing military service ( I am assuming that since the old 92 position code allowed reservists who go active to use that code, 92U does the same thing).

I'll give you a few examples I have seen with 92.

1) The college students who on their Christmas and summer breaks work with their troops.

2) The 18 yo USAF reservist who goes away for a while for training,then comes back.

3) The reservist who gets called to active duty and does a tour overseas.

The 92U code allows folks to remain with their troops, but meet the "trained" requirement with only YPT in those areas with mandatory training. Trust me it can be rather difficult to get trained while in college.

This reminded me of this , http://oa-bsa.org/resources/lodge/bestpractices/RegistrationOptions.pdf It does give a bit more detail,

"The college Scouter reserve exists for college students at least 17 years of age to maintain a Scouting affiliation. These individuals should be registered either as a district or council Scouter, and not on a unit roster. Both male and female Scouters may register in the college Scouter reserve. The application should indicate a college address and may be submitted through the college or home council. Applicants should use position code 92."

It also states this about the Scouter Reserve,

" Individuals who wish to keep an affiliation with Scouting but are not presently able to serve actively may register as a member of the Scouter reserve. These individuals must be at least 21 years old and should be registered with the district in which they reside. Applicants should use position code 91"

Papa,

What Eagle92 said.

My son Eagled in December 2010 and aged out in February 2011. He is now living on campus at college about 80 miles away. He comes home maybe one weekend a month. He wants to maintain his scouting registration, but he can't be active in the troop anymore. Yes, he can be registered as an ASM, but it would be in name only and with JTE, leaders must be trained for their position. Rather than run off these guys, the Unit College Reserve allows them to maintain their registration. It's a good thing. As an OA Chapter Adviser, I like having these guys still be registered so I can try to draw them in when they are at home on occasion. If they weren't registered, I couldn't do that.

A year ago, Tico Perez came to our Commish College.

He said it bluntly: Mandatory training of Scouter volunteers as a condition of membership is coming. My Council has been one of the testbeds. We went 100% trained this recharter.

Using the College Scouter Reserve is a way to keep your college students on the rolls with minimum training for the position.

The main training issue for college-age Scouters is taking IOLS/Assistant Scoutmaster Fundamentals. Since most college students usually split their time between two cities/councils (and, therefore, two different training calendars), it is very easy to miss out on training opportunities. I am a College Scouter (92, not 92U) and have been working with others to get them registered in the same capacity. We are not "untrained" by any stretch but we happen to lack the opportunity to get position-specific training (still waiting on the test-out option for IOLS).

Most 18 year olds who have been camping every month and summer camp most years since they were 11, plus possibly having done high adventure and staffing camp along with earning Eagle, kind of balk at having to go learn how to teach boys Tenderfoot thru 1st Class requirements. They've been doing that for at least 5 years. This is where you need a "test out" feature since many of these guys could teach an IOLS course. SM Specific is a whole other matter. They set thru lectures at college and they don't want to drive home and blow a Saturday listening to someone drone on and on for 6 hours. College Reserve is a very good thing.

In regards to SM specific.

Ok I've never taken it, nor taught it as I did the old SMF that covered NLE, SMS, and IOLS over a month.

But to be honest, with the exception of the PW aspects that leaders have to deal with, 99.999999% was stuff covered in troop leader training and Brownsea 22. So I am assuming ILST and NYLT covers these items, but again I do not know for sure.

To be honest the biggest help in transitioning from youth to adult was the other adults who mentored me by constantly reminding me that my role is different now and that I am no longer the ASPL of the troop.

As regards to test outs, I wish everyone did them. national is working on it.

We just completed our re-chartering and tried to use this code. There is apparently no way to use it in the online system and so our council registrar needs to do it manually.

I do like the position. We have a couple guys that fall into this category. They're certainly adults and great guys to have around but they really don't fit the role of Assistant Scoutmaster. They cannot make the time commitment necessary to really be given any specific assignment, but they drop in when they can and often join us for our longer, more adventurous trips -- where they're invaluable: after a full day of paddling into the wind on a canoe trip they're still fresh as daisies when some of us oldsters are starting to drag.

Oh to be young again.