I am just passing this along. Our local Fire Dept has a declining Explorer post and is in need of finding funding. The police explorers seems to have no problem coughing up cash but the fire men not so much. Anyone have any ideas on how to

(1) How some units keep themselves going financially and

(2) Recruiting new boys

"(1) How some units keep themselves going financially"

Fundraising.

car washes, pancake breakfasts, spaghetti dinners, etc.

"(2) Recruiting new boys"

Promote, promote, promote. Get the word out you exist, conduct open houses as a big recruitment event, etc. Keep in mind the Explorers are co-ed, so don't just be looking for boys.

I guess my question is why the Firefighters are funding the Post instead of the post members doing the fund raising?

I understand that Explorer Posts tend to be more career related and are usually sponsored by the career.

I was a volunteer FF for a while. Turn our gear, helmet, boots, gloves, nomex hood etc runs $1000+ per person. That can be expensive to buy a complete set for each post member. Partciularly when most fire departments require responders to be at least 18 yr old for insurance and legal reasons. The under 18 will be relagated to exterior structure duties. Important tasks but less likey to get in harms way.

Fire departments often have "boot drives" where they stand around holding a firemans boot asking for donations. Not much fun to stand around begging money. If the post members aren't raising their own money they don't really have a vested interest in the post.

What is the money used for?

I don't think the unit is well organized; talked about if any "BSA grants" are available for support. That was a red flag for me.

We have a heck lot more cops than fireman and the Explorer cops get to ride on patrol; I think the explorer F&R are more restricted.

I don't know too much and hesitate to ask as my hands are full with my Troop.

Do Explorer posts have any support system? I mean in BSA.

"Do Explorer posts have any support system? I mean in BSA."

Explorers are now part of the Learning for Life corporation, which is owned by the BSA. This is kept separate from the BSA due to differences in membership policies.

Check with your local LFL Executive. From my knowledge, only the Law Enforcement and Fire/Rescue Explorer Posts have the most national support. Only these 2 still have national conferences, along with the law mock trial events.

Also check their website: http://exploring.learningforlife.org/

Here is the section just for Fire Services: http://exploring.learningforlife.org/services/career-exploring/fire-service/

There will be a Fire/Rescue National Conference this July.