Programme for two 12 year old scouts for a weekend.

Right, I thought I would try picking the brains of my felow the leaders the other side of the pond on this one.

The situation The cubs at my group are doing their annual indoor winter camp 10-12 Feb. They have a few bed spaces left over and have offered them to our scouts. Being quite a young pack at the moment the Cub Leaders have asked that any scouts who attend mostly do their own thingand give the younger kids some space. (although they have a got a couple of activities they are happy for scouts to join in with).

The Opportunity clear opportunity here for any scouts that go along to have their own programme and do exactly what they would like for a weekend.

The Problem the weekend is not only in half term school holidays(hence lots of scouts on holiday) but also a week away from the troop winter camp (hence lots of scouts being told they are off to see relies etc). Combine that with short notice and result is, at present, 2 solitary scouts signed up. (both aged 12, one boy, one girl) Means any site activities they want to are likely to cost a fortune divided just between two.

So Im looking for programme ideas that 2 scouts (although we may yet get more sign up, but it wont be many if we do) can do with minimal adult supervision for a weekend in February. I have already offered them as slave labour to the site (have I told you how much my scouts love and adore me?) for a spot of campsite service.

I will of course be asking them what they would like to do but it would be nice to have some ideas to throw at them as starting points particularly as they are still relatively young (although both very level headed)

My scouting brain seems to need a touch of WD40 today!

'Skip,

Where are you folks going to be at? I know each activity center has stuff, I personally love Youlbury's tower, ranges, and museum.

Also any guidelines you folks need to follow? Over here it's the Guide to Safe Scouting, and it can be a little uptight compared to you folks.

This is the site

http://www.phaselswood.org.uk/

The activities link on the left shows what is on site, a lot of which is fantastic but will be quite expensive between 3 (we've had a 3rd sign up in last few minutes). The indoor facilities are really just the sleeping accomodation. In terms of what is near by there is quite a lot if you can drive. If, however, you are 12 years old it is a little more tricky (and there is no way on earth I am allowing two 12 year olds to get a train into London on their own!)

Can you find a volunteer to give them a gps lesson and get them started on a geocache challenge?

I set up a challenge on the grounds of our camp that kept some ventureres half the morning and half the afternoon. (They actually made and hid their own caches and had to exchange coordinates and try to find each other's hides.

Model rocket kits are also a reasonable thing to do. Especially if someone had a launcher. They could build them in the morning and launch them for the cubs in the afternoon.

Anyway, you get the idea. Instead of money, maybe an investment of an adults time might give them a skill that they would enjoy and be entertaining to the cubs as well.