Scoutcraft and the Law

I could not disagree more with you Bart.

I have repeatably seen scouts develop more character in one week of High Adventure than many adult have ever developed.

Sure character is developed when the going gets tough. But only when adults don't step in and do things for them. Scouts will rise to the occasion and work together to get things accomplished. This is a valuable less in citizenship that cannot be taught in merit badge work.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say adults should step in and do things for boys, I said boys either need older boys or adult leaders to model. If the hands-off adults are doing the right things and modeling correct behavior, then the boys will follow that lead. Citizenship doesn't develop in a vacuum.

Citizenship training program?

Same process:

1. Baden-Powell invents Patrol System: Regular unsupervised weekend Patrol Hikes with a Physical Distance of about eight (8) miles.

2. B-P observes that regular unsupervised Patrol Hikes teach Boy Scouts how to work together as citizens.

3. Indoor Mind hears "Citizenship," scans its library of citizenship school books, discards Physical Distance as "old-fashioned," and substitutes a classroom route to "citizenship training."

Hence Scouting based on "Physical Distance" (14 mile First Class Journey, 300 feet between Patrols, 8 mile Patrol Hikes) versus "preaching citizenship and obedience."

As for the appeal of Scoutcraft to the 21st century boys in your own area: It is easy to judge that for yourself:

http://inquiry.net/adult/recruiting.htm

My experience is that six months after the Webelos have all crossed over, an additional 28% of sixth grade boys will register with the BSA if you present Scouting as the kind of Scoutcraft adventure described in the Congressional Charter.

(This message has been edited by Kudu)