Boyslife to the public for $5.99

I clicked on the link, and didn't see a price at all, unless I wanted to log in. Not a member and wasn't going to join just to see a price...but...I did see that (according to the site) people who looked at the Boy's Life ad also suscribed to Wedding Gown magazine for $11.99 or bought an aluminum step ladder fopr n$49.99

I also didn't want to join the site in your link, wingnut, to see the price. But when I went to the actual boys life site I found that a subscription there costs $24/yr.

http://boyslife.org/home/bl-store/382/subscribe-today/

I've lost track - what are our boys in scouting paying? I have a vague notion that it is less than $20? Seems ok to me, for 12 issues.

There are some other discount sites for magazines on the web. Their "deals" are often not very good. For example: magazines dot com promises 90% discounts! Wow! And on boy's life, they show a 44% DISCOUNT! You can get 12 issues for just $24! (hmm, where did I see that same price listed?). Some deal.

Amazon shows a price of $24/yr too.

A question sort of related, have the come out with an e-pub version, and started offering an either/or of form of delivery?

It would be a nice move.. I know others have stated they got e-readers.. I just have a black & white one, so magazines is not for it.. But my son got a tablet, and I would imagine he would now become interested in the e-version..

Also I was suprised at how many people thought an Nook tablet or Kindle Fire was an appropriate gift for a child, so it would not be just adults reading it on a color e-reader. Maybe it is my income bracket, but although I thought it a fine gift for my 21 year old son, I would have not given him one if he was ten years old..

Ok, bad example but only because you do have to join to see the price. (which I wasn't trying to get any one to do.) But trust me, After sign up, the price falls to $5.99 per year.

And yes, I'm know that national has to make money to provide a program and I'm not sure exactly what my complaint is since I'd give them $10 for nothing if they had a shaker can in front of me. But It just feels like the like I'm being played along with my scouts when there is a better price for outsiders that the insiders.

Okay, so I DID sign up, just not using my normal id. Again, I cannot find anything remotely like the $5.99. It really is not that important; but at times, it seems posters just seem to want to find anything possible to gripe about in regard to National. As pointed out by others, it is $12 a year through the troop. Cover price is $3.95, and yearly outside subscription is $24. The subscription shown on this site is $23.99, a savings of one cent from the $24.

Again, maybe I simply cannot read, or see what is being referred to. The only way I got $5.99 was to divide the price I found by 3. But it is a one year subscription, not a three.

Whatever; $12 is a really great price for the mag, especially in today's magazine market. And it is also available on-line, including much more. I give my old ones to one of the schools in which I sub, so they get used until they fall apart.

Nothing to get in a tizzy about here.

Tanga appears to be a site that is similar to Woot. It has deeply discounted daily deals, and specials that last for a specific limited time frame.

Although Tanga does not state where the magazines are being purchased from, I really doubt that it is from BSA National. Most likely some magazine distributor wants to offload a surplus inventory.

The $5.99 was most likely a short time special that Tanga ran on Saturday. Today it is back to its "regular" "discounted" price of $23.99 + shipping, down from a retail of $36.

As Lisa pointed out, the Boys Life site is selling subscriptions to the public at $24/year, not $36. The $36 could be an estimate by Zanga based on the single issue cover price.

Scouts can get Boys Life at their regular discounted price of $12/year.

Based on their "wonderful" discount on Boys Life, Tanga does not seem to be very honest in their cost listings. Not a big plus for the site in my opinion.

Maybe they're using BL as a recruiting or PR tool. Seems like a reasonable idea to me, depending on what actual cost would be.

Dues to national are $15. If it all goes to pay for BL, that's still the cheapest subscription we get in the house.

Most magazines are in pretty desperate shape these days, and if you shop around, you can generally get a subscription to almost anything for pretty close to zero. It's usually not quite zero, since they need to tell their advertisers that you're a paid subscriber. Sometimes (but not always), the renewal will be at a higher price.

I wouldn't be surprised if BL was in that category. If you run across another such deal, I would recommend buying a subscription for a local library.

My son enjoys getting his (and I'm careful to keep it in pristine condition if I get my hands on it before him). I believe we pay $12 per year in addition to the normal BSA registration fee, which seems like a good price to me.