Hey everyone. I understand that this is a topic that has probably been done to death, but I'm an SPL and my meeting plans have been getting rather stale. I need fresh ideas, and I'm all out, so I'm calling in the brain trust. Please post interesting meeting ideas, ideally with a skill or set of skills to be learned and an interesting activity to go with it. To give some background, this is a new troop made up of all first class or above scouts, and we hope to win our first camporee in a few months. Anything to help us prepare in a fun way is appreciated.

Brainstorm!

I think Scoutcraft competitions can be fun. Pioneering too, you know lashing up stuff. Disaster drills + first aid contest.

See if you can hook up with any hobby clubs to help on activities and MB offerings. We literally stumbled on a RC club on a campout which had a program for getting young guys into the hobby (these were 6 foot long planes). They were willing to do demos and assist in teaching the Aviation MB.

Invite some special guests:

- Local game commissioner (this is especially useful the month before fishing season) especially one who might be able to teach tracking or suggest a simple service project.

- Former scout just back from his tour of duty or boot camp.

- An NRA certified instructor for some basic gun safety/maintenance instruction.

- How many in your troop are driving age? A mechanic with some basic car care tips might be handy.

- Ask your committee if they know any pro athletes who may be willing to visit. (Seriously, this happened at our troop once.)

These may prepare you for a camporee, or they may provide pleasant relief from the other weeks when you are conditioning.