acco, I completely get what you are saying here.

Honestly, I am willing to be that at least half of the people who get tattoos will regret it later on down the road. I will bet that at least Half will wish they did not get one, or just not as many/ not as big/ not as noticible.

But it was because they didn't seriously consider the long term impact of it, or didn't take into consideration of why they got that tattoo.

Me, I wanted one since I was 15 years old. I didn;t get one until I was 40 years old.

I knew , even back then, that it had to be something that I wouldn't look back on when I was ...say...80 years old ...and think to myself : "Why the hell did I do that?"

So, I will never regret my tattoo. Of course, mine ties in wirth a huge event/milestone of my life.

So, out of all the tattooes people out there, I have to assume that many of them have gotten tattoos for the same reasons I did. They may have them for themselves and not for anyboy else.

My tattoo is on my right shoulder and you cannot see it unless I either show you or if I happen to have my shirt off.

So as far as cub scouts goes...if we go swimming, they could see it - assuming they are even looking at my back to begin with.

But again, I do know what you mean. Too many people do things on impulse or because it

s cool right now. They do it without thinking how stupid it will be 1, 2 , 3 or 20 years from now.

Hey, I know a guy who got an 1/8th " dot tattooed on the top of his hands just before each knuckle back when he was 20 years old. They didn't mean anything, he just wanted a tattoo...anty tattoo, and this was the cheapest thing he could get! :)

I do know some fellas who got tattoos while drunk. Yeah, I know most of those were regreted, but a few were really wanted and the beer finally gave them the courage to do it.

So anyways, my point is this: When I look at other people and there tattoos, I do not ( always) just assume they all did something rash and stupid. I give them the benefit of doubt that they may have a really deep and thougtful reason/ meaning behind what they did.

I mean, yeah.....some tattoos are obvious that people didn't think them through or give alot of thought, but some are for awesome, deep amd meaningful reasons.

My tattoo - while not pplaced to be hidden, just happens to be hidden because it is right below where my cancer was. I got that tattoo for me and not for show or others to see. Not saying I will not let others see it or I won't show it......I am just saying I didn't get it for the purpose of trying to fit in or because others would like it or think I am more cool, or something like that.

Kinda like scouters who take WB or have knots on their shirts: Some did it for or have earned it because of what they do/did for the program. Others do it for bling and showing off.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My daughter (age 7) recently drew a picture of a girl in a dress with swirly designs down her arms. I complimented her on the pretty designs on the sleeves of the dress. I was promptly informed they weren't sleeves, they were tattoos. She knows lots of adults who have them, she's grown up with those temporary tattoos, and to her they're already - to my fatherly dismay! - part of normal life.

For a group who has members who do not want to be judged by the group they are in but rather as individuals, we sure are quick to pass judgement on others who are differrent, such as those who choose to get tattoos or get into the Lone scout program or other things are not considered "Normal".

Perhaps we should give them the same amount of tolerance we want for ourseleves, or is that just spitting in the wind?

With the increased acceptance of tattoos illustrated in this thread ---- what's next?

What will spring from the cultural wellsprings of our prisons which will begin making its way into acceptance by the middle class using the methods already used with tattoos?

I would suppose that branding with hot irons would be a logical next step, and then amputation of body parts.

Ears, noses, parts or all of fingers. Amputated penises.

We don't want to be judgmental about such things do we?

My son has a scar on his arm - a branding of sorts. A bunch of his friends took a hot lighter and burned themselves. Kids at 17/18 do not have fully developed cognitive faculties - more proof. It is hard for a parent to see their offspring purposely mutilate their bodies. I wouldn't be surprised if parents are brought to court for getting their infant daughters ears pierced.

I enjoy art but don't want a Monet tattooed on my face. I don't want my daughter (or wife) to get breast augmentation surgery. However, if they really would get some sort of psychological benefit from something like that, I would understand. Same goes with tats. Something like circumcision I could go either way with. Some in the medical field believe it has advantages, some feel it is just a cruel custom. Others feel it has religious significance. C'est la vie.

In all seriousness, I am wondering why someone would get Chinese or Japanese characters tattooed on them if they don't know exactly what they say? Ic an understand some folks wanting tribal tattoos. I can understand characters, animals, names etc. But I don't understand in a foreign language that you do not understand?

I'm asking this b/c I saw the tat on young lady today that was Chinese. It reminded me of a story I was told back in college. One drunk guy went to a tat parlor and wanted these a tat in Chinese that said one thing. Well he ended up with a tattoo saying something completely different, but didn't know it until someone who was Chinese asked him if he really liked guys like his tat said.

SP this just shows your ingorance. If you think Tattoos spawned from Prison society then you really don't know what you are talking about.

Tattoos have been around since at least 2000B.C. different cultures had different uses for tattooing but most cultures had some form. British royalty tattoo'd themselves for vanity reasons until commoners started doing it to emulate, then they stopped.

I don't know where yours, and others biggotted negative connotation comes from, but I would check it at the door.

I live in the same area as you and maybe your view of tattoos is some kind of counter-counter culture, because it is so prevalent and accepted here in Seattle. believe me I am probably the most conservative person on this board, but even I think tattoos are ok.

Know a friend who just had a second tattoo applied after her husband got a second tattoo. The family was watching Ink Masters the Life Scout/Eagle Candidate mentioned he might like to get a tattoo himself. Both parents told him to finish his Eagle first

Used to be the line was get Eagle before you can get a drivers license, now its Eagle before Ink, Life is in a continual state of change, is it not?

Jay K -

Context is everything - especially when reciting Bible verses. The verse from Leviticus is referencing tattoos received as part of a pagan ritual. In other words, the point of the verse is, "no other gods before me". If you wear a tattoo that is a tribute to a pagan god, then one should be concerned. Otherwise, the Bible does not denounce tattoos.