My Scout learned a new word Last night

The discussion reminded me of a funny discussion with a mom not to long ago regarding offensive language.

Get a phone call from a concerned mom, "Last night jimmy scout came home and called his sister a #$%@". I said really and how does it relate to me and scouts. Mom says he learned it at the den meeting. I said that I didn't remember that coming up in conversation we were talking about gear for resident camp and crab wrestling. told her I would investigate......Nothing really to be done except remind the boys about respect and being a scout is more than a uniform.

Lock in night comes around one of the highlights is playing video games all night. Well Jimmy scout shows up with all M rated games to play, Several grand theft autos, Army of two, bioshock and Several Call of duty's. Well I tag them and collect them....M rated games for 9 and 10 year olds, not at my event.

So grab mom by the elbow at pick up time and ask her watch and listen to the game play. I ask if he plays on line at all. she says yes, I suggest she listen to what is being said during game play.

Oh yeah!

I recall doing a rafting trip at Summer Camp with son#1 then 11. The rapids were a little scary and I hear him say "well we are some F#ed F#ing F#ers!" I yell "watch your language!" he says "If I am about to die I should get special dispensation"

I didn't know he knew "dispensation".

Funny..he probably thinks he knows far more than that, even. But it reminds me of the cubs when we were still doing scouting-for-food by hanging little bags on residence doors. My son and his buddy were doing their thing when a lady chased them off the property with a broom. She was elderly so they just laughed about it as they ran back to the car. But the lady immediately became legend. ALL the boys wanted that route next time. So to my son's disappointment, I spread the wealth and assigned two new ones. She didn't let them down on pickup day.

When they returned with their chaperone and food, I was talking with all the other parents, loading the food into a truck. Eric announced that the lady had yelled at them again. Before I could stop myself I asked what she said and he repeated it loudly and accurately with all the accents on the correct syllables so I suspected he knew those words already. It was an impressive string of expletives but I recognized my mistake and endured it for what seemed like an eternity as he faithfully reproduced the whole thing. Then, after a few moments of nervous silence, we all started laughing.

They're going to get it from somebody someplace somehow. Might as well accept that, maybe have a laugh if it's possible.

Several years ago visiting my sister and ready to go out to dinner with her and then 5&6 year old nephews, one pipes up, "Lets go out for a night of drunken debauchery!" I looked at him and asked, "That's a big word, where you learn that?" "Spongebob" came the prompt reply.

SA

I have been known to say to a Scout, "If you are dumb enough to use that word in the presence of the Scoutmaster, you are not ready to use that word." This is said with a smile, and then a discussion of how using language can make it then part of your regular lexicon, resulting in using the words in the worst possible times like with the Minister, the Mother-in Law or the Boss. When they say that they can control it, I smile again and remind them that they used it in front of me.

Plus they get to call me on it when I slip. I have been known to scrub a patrol's Dutch Oven for my penance.

my husband and I had a conversation with our kids that they would be allowed to cuss once they got older and learned when it was appropriate and when it wasn't.

I believe our son was about 5 at the time.

I cussed a lot partly because one of the things I did was worked as a volunteer at a treatment center facilitating an after care group that was for women that came out of prison. So my kids had heard all the words and knew not to use them.

But about a day after our little conversation my husband and I were working in the bathroom trying to fix the toilet and our son walks by and says "what the he double hockey sticks is going on in there" after my husband and I quit laughing our behinds off we sat down and had another chat - yes completely appropriate word and timing, but you need to learn when it's not appropriate before you can use it when it is appropriate.

he's now 16 and she's 18... they've learned when it's appropriate and not. still weird to hear them curse, but they only get punished if they use it when it's not appropriate which they have never done. so I guess they learned.