Has anyone recieved the Alumni Association email from National?

It looks like I recieved it due to my membership in NESA. If you click on the link from the email you arrive at a page at the scouting.org site with the following:

By joining the Scouting Alumni Association, you'll stay up to speed on what's happening in Scouting and help youth experience the excitement, challenges, and adventure that Scouting has to offer. Plus, join today to receive the following extra benefits:

■Quarterly electronic newsletter Alumni Alive!

■Cell phone ring tones of 10 bugle calls

■Alumni Scrapbook accessibility to post your Scouting stories

■Free one-year membership to the National Scouting Museum

■Packet sent upon joining containing an embossed affiliation card, lapel pin, luggage tag, and window cling

■One-time discount on a purchase from BSA Supply Group

■And more

They want $35 to join. If it's anything like NESA, it seems like a waste of money.

I inquired and was told that councils can provide lists of Scouting alumni to use in recruiting adult volunteers for unit, district and council volunteers if desired.

Ditto for NESA members.

Identifying your membership base seems like a good idea. What kinds of things should councils and national expect to do with such lists?

I got the same email and assumed this is alumni part of Scouting.org, with which I have already registered. I didn't get as far as seeing the $35 membership fee.

Like ES96, from an actual value standpoint, I don't get it. I certainly don't know why you would want to pay for both this and NESA. Seems like plowing the same ground twice.

Clearly, this is just a fund raiser. Okay, fine. But where does the money go? Just another rat hole? What's the purpose?

I used to go to a dentist who had clearly been to too many marketing seminars. His waiting room contained nothing but ads for various services. You got to "watch TV" during checkups, but that was just more advertising. When he would come in, his first question was always, "are you happy with your smile?" What the heck! I finally got to where I didn't trust the guy and found another dentist.

Seems like BSA is getting there.

I understand BSA is a non-profit. But instead of selling me a bunch of crap, like $70 silver tokens or baloney memberships, treat me like an intelligent human who is ALREADY donating thousand in time and money and approach me with one reasonable annual request. I understand that's FOS and the local councils' side of the street, but figure it out. They're starting to sound like my old dentist.

BSA has a set of national goals, and among those are to significantly expand the number of adults involved in Scouting. I presume that the Alumni program is a part of that program.

I would suppose the idea is to have a National Eagle Scout Association aimed at those who weren't Eagle Scouts. That sounds reasonable to me, and perhaps there will be additional efforts to involve Alumni in getting more involve in unit, district and council leadership.

As I noted, when I asked about using alumni lists to find more people willing to help with district activities, I was told that was appropriate to do.

Since I'm currently a registered leader, I wouldn't spend more money to register as an Scouting alumnus.

I'd say it's early to judge the program. If it's used by councils to get more adults involved in Scouting, it might prove to be very valuable. I know my district is critically short of volunteers to serve as Unit Commissioners, helping to organize district activities, make FOS presentations and so on.

Getting a list of 100 Alumni and calling them to ask if they'd be willing to help with a Scouting activity would be a worthwhile experiment to see if the names can be converted into volunteers to help with the Scouting program.

Sending out our monthly council newsletter to alumni would be worthwhile too, I'd suppose. Perhaps that's already being done. The newsletter is well done and might tend to encourage Alumni who receive it to feel invited to participate more.

I tend to agree with Seattle. I recently received the email, both from National and Council. I certainly am an "alumnus", and am already registered and get email and (joy) realmail from national and council and District and troop. So I have no need to be MORE connected. Let this be a means to bring folks with Scout experience back in to the work of the game with a purpose.

Then too, if they figure it out, they can be a help (1) without registering as a Adult Scouter. I know many such in our home Troop; and (2) by registering normally, for $15 save some bucks and get the same newsletters and magazines, all good.

I don't see it as a fundraiser so much as an invitation to get even more involved, and you know that one takes more seriously that which one spends money on.

My district makes up it's annual goals in January. I' considering suggesting that we get a list of 100 alumni and call them to see how many might be interested in helping with district programs and activities.

Perhaps have five people make twenty calls each. Then we could evaluate the results and see if that proves to be worthwhile.

Got the email and deleted it.

Disagree with National's strategy. If they are looking for alumni support, volunteering time or resources, no one should be hit up for 35 dollars from the get-go. Comes across as greedy.

Truth is, if former scouts don't join the assoc, they are still former scouts anyway--and it doesn't cost a dime!

The goal setters and budget builders at National would rather have 35 bucks today than potentially lifetime of support...if the alum assoc was pitched properly (that is, respectfully), the BSA would gain far more if it didn't come across like it was looking for a buck. Missed opportunity.

Hello Desertrat,

I'd agree you aren't a likely prospect for that program.

I'd be surprised if there aren't a goodly number of people who would like to hook up with BSA again, and wouldn't mind throwing a few dollars into the pot.

That might be a pool of people susceptible to being recruited for a more active part in the Scout program.

Personally, Id say it's an experiment worth trying.

SP, I think we agree more than we disagree...my main point: don't hit someone up for thirty five bucks from the get go. Poor salesmanship. Especially in today's economy. It's well worth the effort to get former scouts back into the program. The alum assoc is a good way to do that. However, the entrance fee may be a turn off to many. We'll see.

Well, I suppose there is not an alumni association on the planet that does not ask for a membership fee. The question of where that fee goes is valid. A small part would go to the operation and "give-aways" of the association, but the rest...who knows?

Personally, I only belong to one local Scouting alumni association and am told where the money goes; to scholarships for college students serving on our camp staffs. However, since this association is under the auspices of our Council, I have my qualms. Designated funds have been tapped into before for reasons beyond their designation.

Like a college alumni association, the Scouting one is there to 1) generate interest in the work of the parent organization; 2) provide a donor list.

My dad, who hasn't really done anything with Scouting in the last 15 years, just received a very nice Christmas letter from the local Council Executive (which letter also asked for a donation). I, who've worked a fair amount with the Scouts in the last year, have not received any letter or email from the Council Executive.

Oh, there is one difference -- my dad made wrote an FOS check a few years ago and I've just given cash. I can see where my Council's priorities lie and what they value more.

I pay to volunteer for scouting.

$15 a year

I get hit up for the district and councils campership fund, I sell popcorn, get hit up for FOS. on and on and on.

Now National is going to use the Alumni associate to raise funds.

Yes I got the email. I deleted it.

With Jay saying he is saving up to join I gotta ask how much does it cost?????