xmas party contigent on community service

So to get this straight it is open to Parents/freinds of the bell ringers, those who did not ring bells, but just know someone who did.. Yet your son or family can't go as a friend of a bell ringer, because he is a youth member in the troop and didn't ring a bell?

Not right.. So I hear you are pulling out, wife is in tears, son is confused.. (But not pulling out???).. If he wants to stay for now it is his decision, but if you think there may be a time when enough is enough for him (either the troop antics, or the lack of parental interest helping him to stay anchored).. Any other troops in the area that you can start looking at so you can have him visit them just as he starts loosing enthusiam, but before he is not wanting to try a different troop.

If you have a plan of action, you can quietly hang onto it, but be prepared to use it when you see a need..

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eagle90

Thank You.

I bought a copy lent it to a very dear and close friend who moved and took it with her.

Also lent my copy of Two Lives of a Hero, which I bought back when this site was selling stuff. The guy quit Scouting and I never saw him again.

I'm sorry noname, while I do believe that you do have right on your side. I just can't help thinking that you are going overboard for something that just isn't worth all the upset.

Yes it is wrong, but your best shot at fixing the wrong is to work at it from the inside.

You wouldn't believe the number of committees I've sat on. A lot of times with guys who really did have the best of intention but were not only way off base, but anchored in the idea that what it was they were doing or wanted to do was right.

I, a lot of times came home with steam coming out of my ears.

A lot of times even though I was right I was subjected to ridicule and name calling.

I was at times really upset and mad.

I managed to get past my "Mad" by me knowing that they thought they were right, even though they weren't.

Sometimes it took me a couple of years to win.

The easy thing to have done would have been to just let it go or maybe quit.

But I'm way way too Irish for that!

While maybe it wasn't very Scout-like? I when I id win enjoyed the fact that I had won and did have a nice little good old fashioned gloat. Even going so far as offering to take these guys for an adult beverage just so I could watch them squirm as they tried to explain that they just didn't know that they had been wrong the entire time.

Each of us is wired a little differently.

I have a reputation of being a nice enough fellow, while the truth is I'm a bit like a bull dog we used to have. Once I grab hold I very rarely let go. Then I will kill you with kindness.

Ea.