Scouts and Power Tools

I'm sure this has been covered before, but two posts on the parent thread obliquely indicated that scouts cannot use power tools, and I was even "taught" at Woodbadge that Scouts are not allowed to use power tools, so I think it's worth covering again.

There is no prohibition against Scouts using power tools so long as you are following the Sweet Sixteen of safety (the exception is that somewhere there are extra rules about chainsaws).

Does anyone know if scouts EVER were really prohibited from using power tools or this just a myth that won't die?

The power tools restriction is a myth. I believe scouts should use power tools so that they can learn the safey behind using power tools. I've young adults tell me that my meeting on lawn mowers and lawn mower safety was one of their favorite Webelos meetings. A lot of dads even showed up for that meeting. Our Webelos used a lot of power tools for many of their projects. Many of our Eagle projects rented some fun and interesting power tools.

Kind of funny, the tool that causes the most reported injuries in scouting is the bow saw.

Barry

Alas, yeh all need to read the new Eagle packet and da new continuously-updated G2SS. As of very recently, I believe there are significant restrictions on power tool usage. Essentially, our esteemed colleagues in H&S appear to have wholesale adopted da Department of Labor regulations for under-age workers into the scouting guidelines. So da rules that were designed to apply to prevent minors from working on dangerous factory floors with heavy machinery now are presumed to apply to boys volunteering on a project. What is permissible in a school shop class is no longer permissible in scouting.

Beavah

I think the myth originates with labor laws in many states that prohibit employees below a certain age, in many cases 16, from using power tools in their job. Consequently it becomes a rule at many BSA camps, that youth staff can't use power tools.

Scout volunteers are not employees and there is no legal or BSA rule that prohibits youth from using power tools, with the exception of chain saws, that I'm aware of.

That said, power tools can be dangerous if used improperly, and anyone, youth or adult, should have intruction on how to use tools safely.

Heck on a family farm it's not uncommon to see kids as young as 12 operating tractors, loaders, and other heavy equipment let alone a 1/4 hp electril drill.

SA

I'm one fo those who made the comment about power tools and scouts. I may have been thinking CUB scouts, b/c there is a no power tool rule somewhere, gotta find its exact location.

As for scouts, we all know no chainsaws. ;)

Beav,

Can you point us to the new language.

The only thing I can find is an asterisk note in the Eagle

project booklet that says "Power tools considered hazardous, like circular saws, must be operated by adults experinced in their use. See the Guide to Safe Scouting." But I can't find anything in the G2SS

I found this

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/ageguides.pdf

So now all we need to do is define "hand tool", or we could leave it up to the units to determine who can safely use what. A 17 year old High School senior in the Voc Ed Carpentry program may be a better fit on a circular saw that some guy who never has taken one out of a box before

I did find this in the Guide to Safe Scouting

In situations not specifically covered in this guide, activity planners should evaluate the risk or potential risk of harm, and respond with action plans based on common sense, community

standards, the Boy Scout motto, and safety policies and practices commonly prescribed for the activity by experienced providers and practitioners.

SOunds good to me

Did anyone notice a few interesting things in the chart referenced by OGE?

#1 Bow saws can be used by Webelos and above? OK where is that on the Whittling chip as I do not beleive Webelos can earn Totin' Chit.

#2 Wolves and Bears cannot do outdoor cooking? What about Wolf Requirement 8e e.With an adult, help to plan, prepare, and cook an outdoor meal. and Bear Requirement 9g. With an adult, cook something outdoors.

Me thinks there needs to be better quality control and editorial review at national. I know The How To Books have directions to make foil meal packets and cardboard box ovens to cook in the outdoors.

The new "Eagle Scout Service Project workbook", pub 512-927 2011 printing says on page 22:

"At the time of publication of this workbook, changes were being made to the Guide to Safe Scouting that will affect how service projects are conducted. The changes limit the use of hazardous power tools, machinery, and equipment, and also such activities as working at heights or on ladders, and driving motor vehicles."

On page 14 it says

"*Power tools considered hazardous, like circular saws, must be operated by adults who are experienced in their use. See the Guide to Safe Scouting."

Another case where BSA updates one document and the other is "pending". At least the updated document took note of the pending change.(This message has been edited by fred8033)

Base,

Yes, with tongs of course ;)

Seriously though, I can see some folks misinterpreting the chart. I know I had my Cubs doing cookies in a cardboard box oven twice now, in addition to foil meals.

#1 Complaint at CSDC was that the cubs didn't cook.