I would never recommend a unit get a credit card - it's way to easy for someone to misuse it obligating the unit to cover the debt - and way too tempting for a unit to borrow and spend more money than they have on hand to replace equipment rather than fundraise for the money in advance of the purchase. I just think a credit card is a bad idea.

I'm wary of debit cards as well. Though you may not be able to borrow and spend, it's still too easy for someone to empty the bank account on personal spending without a check abd balance before it's too late. I realize it can be convenient, but convenience isn't always the answer, and sometimes is more trouble than it's worth.

I'd agree with Calico. If you need the convenience of a card (such as for online purchases, campsite reservations, etc.), then get a pre-loaded Visa cash card. Works just like a credit or debit card, only you can't overspend or drain your checking account. Just put specific amounts on it for specific authorized purchases.

Funny, I had this discussion with my Treasurer last night. We need to get away from the council Scout Shop account. They have taken money from the account without authorization and double charged us for purchases. It is next to impossible to get to speak to someone about it much less get it corrected. So we need a way to buy online (from another councils shop!) and make reservations etc. I'm thinking a debit card with a low amount kept in the account is the way to go. Mrs.Treasurer is a banker, she's investigating options. I'd like to hear how other units handle this.

Preloaded Visa cards tend to come with a monthly fee.

Debit cards would let someone drain the account--same as a check.

A credit card is not "tied" to the unit account. While the unit agrees to pay, if purchases are unauthorized you'd be dealing with fraud, correct? Same as with fraudulent use of a debit card or check, the difference is the unit is not out any money when the fraud happens.