Advice for handling Troop split

We have the same story with a twist. The new Scoutmaster/former Cubmaster is the one pushing for a boy-led troop. It's a faction of the incumbent leadership that got its panties in a twist and left the troop because the new Scoutmaster was expecting too much of the boys. Only about half of them were trained, and none in the last five years or so. The split has been hard from a morale point of view, these are leaders we've been with since early Cubs and the exit was not graceful. And we are now short on ASMs. But the benefit is that those remaining support boy-led wholeheartedly, so the way is clear to a better and stronger troop. The scouts who remain say they like the troop meetings now better than they did before, too.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had to wait until the majority of the old leadership aged out to switch to boy-led. The boys appear to have more fun and while it appears chaotic and less efficient for the most part things get done.

The ones who have the most problem are the 1st year ASM's who are have a hard time making the mental switch; neither of them were Boy Scouts.

There were also a couple other very legitimate issues and philosophical differences that are often expressed on this Forum. Yes that is why it is good to spell it all out in the beginning.

I notice a majority of the boys leaving are poor campers in which case I wonder why they stay in any case. With cross-over season upon us perhaps we should make clear "you will go camping! You will hike and canoe and cook your own food. If you want to grow up this is your Troop."

Reminds me of an old joke about 4 ministers talking after a multi church event, first one said it was a good event for his church as they had picked up two new families, the second minister said they also had success having signed up three new families. The third said they had gained five. They turned to the forth minister and asked how his church fared and and he said "We did great, we got read of our ten biggest problems!".

TT, just keep in mind that getting rid of the trouble maker doesn't get rid of the trouble.

In your case the trouble is a boy who is picking up a negative vibe from his parents and using it as an excuse to "coast." So, as much as it will be a thorn in your side, you're stuck "coaching" this dad to be positive with his son wherever he lands. That includes encouraging the boy to step up and do his best in his current youth-led unit until the day he transfers to another.

Waffles are better with butter or syrup.

I will be doing the POR reviews, mostly asking the boys what they have done, plan to do, and see that they do it. Most of them have made an effort but a few will get a warning that the SM may not sign off on it.

The waffler's son is a fine lad and did a good job at his previous POR. His dad is doing the boys a disservice by over-hovering; the kid can't make his own decisions without looking to see what his Dad wants. I think the son is not reaching his potential because of his Dad. Things could be worse except (1) Dad never goes on camp-outs and (2) Little Brother is now a scout and Dad is focused on T-1 acceleration.

I want all the boys-especially the ones leaving--to do well. Some of them should be happier if the parents are not so negative but I worry about the ones who are unhappy because they do not like scouts, camping, or working hard--I do not see them being happier where they are going.

I will look hard at the reasons folks are leaving and am sure there are legitimate room for improvement. But a large part of it IMHO stems from 3 main issues:

(1) The shift from the adult-led Troop oriented to boy-led Patrol orientation.

(2) More outdoor activities vs MB classes

(3) Large Troop size.

1 and 2 are the direction we are going to stay in and, in general, is paying off. 3 will be somewhat relieved by the folks leaving.

In the meantime we will try to serve all the boys well; though I do not look forward to the tension in the next Troop meeting while the folks are still there.