Wanted: Interviewees on youth fitness, obesity

Greetings,

I'm a freelance writer for Scouting magazine. I'm starting my research on an article about youth obesity. I'm hoping to connect with Scout leaders who have found ways to promote fitness in their troops - through exercise, activities, education, or simply new "habits" such as healthier food on camping trips. My goal is to write an article that's helpful and practical - not just "advice" from the "experts."

If you have something to share, please reply with a few lines about what you've done, and we can correspond about the possibility of an interview, either by email or phone.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

maryj,

I'll give you an observation as a Scoutmaster, if that helps. I started having day hikes with second year Webelos and our Troop. Modest hikes. three miles, one part a little up hill. The up hill part was difficult for them...not me (late 40's). The kids would ask me to stop; they were out of breath...but not the adults. This struck me hard. It should have been the other way around.

Now I offer two Webelos hikes a year, and encourage my Boy Scouts to join us. I have also issued "Scoutmaster Challenges" to the Troop patrols, to hike fifty miles in six months. The winning patrol gets the "50 Miler" patch.

As they get better, I intend to lengthen the logged in miles.

Food is pretty good in our troop. We do not allow any prepared meals. The Scouts are required to cook, with ingredients. Meals must be balanced. Our SPL reviews menus a week before any overnight to be sure.

The lack of Exercise seems to be the big thing

• 2 months later...

Maryj,

Just some examples from my troop. We currently have 14 scouts. Three scouts have had weight issues in the last two years. One was becoming overweight as a Tenderfoot, I talked to his father about it, and the family decided to do extra food snack training, he has since lost weight. (The problem started with a child care provider, which the family also changed). The other two both have gained enough weight in the last two years to be considered obese. Sadly in both cases the Boys are from divorced families and one of the parents(in each case) refuse to deny the boy comfort food because their lives are hard since the divorce. Surprisingly in both cases its the Mom. I have tried to discuss this issue with the kids parents. The Dads were supportive, but the Boys are full time custody with the Mothers. We have tried extra Troop hikes, the Mothers choose not to let them go.

Hope this was helpful.