• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you ever end up driving down the southern east cost of NC, look me up. I couldn't tell the difference between a fine cigar and a fine bunch of pine needles, but bthere are several tobbacconist shops that are considered to be of the highest quality in my area.

>

Unfortunately, I'm sure there are plenty of horror stories about unit leaders "going rogue" and creating problems. We've seen many of them on display on this forum.

Personally I think cutting off communication with the district and council is a mistake that will only make things worse.

Someone from the pack or chartered organization should be keeping in touch. The Committee Chair or Chartered Organization Rep would be the logical people.

I'm afraid this isn't going to end well....

Welcome to the light side.

After a couple trial separations, I made the same leap you have. Never missed a beat. Truth is, they need you much more that you need them. You haven't called your DE 12 times in the past two days, have you?

Although I haven't been to a district committee meeting in nearly four years, I'm still listed as Vice-chairman and receive a membership card to that effect every year. Went cold turkey on Roundtables, too. After 10 years of near perfect attendance (and only RTs I missed were do to other Scout commitments) I had enough. I announced to the troop committee I wasn't going back and if they wanted someone there, they needed to send someone. They never did. And guess what? We haven't missed a thing. If it's important enough, we get an email, or someone calls. Truth be told, I went to Roundtable this week for the first time in years. Our district Advancement guy was supposed to do a presentation on the new Eagle work books and advancement guidelines and I wanted to hear that. But guess what? I knew as much about it as he did. How? Scouter.com. I was the only person in the place who had read the entire book. So another two hours of my life I'll never get back.

But let me make this point with you, BD: don't cut your nose off to spite you face. While my Scouting efforts are strictly directed at the troop, I will still take advantage of district and council activities IF it suits me or benefits the troop. I'd recommend that attitude. Cherry pick. If there is something which appeals to you, take advantage of it. You have every right to do so. My rule is if it benefits the boys or the troop program, fine. Otherwise, forget it.

So Seattle, your going to have to explain to me how this isn't going to end well????????

I have not violated any rules, the fight is over three things.

1. Rules made up by an event organizer that blocked my unit from participating

2. DE trying to collect unpaided apps and who has a history of accessing our UDA account to pay for them

3. A Dictatorial FOS chair that said they WILL do a presentation at our Blue and Gold banquet despite being told not then but here are two other dates.

There is no rule that I must attend Roundtable, there is no rule that I must answer the Phone when the DE calls. There are no District events to attend so nothing there.

The youth an parents have no idea this nonsense is going on. most have no idea what a district is let alone a council or DE.

Your going to need to enlighten me here...

Heck, if the DE kicks me out.....My boys will suffer, I will feel bad briefly, but long term it would not be horrible thing. More money in my retirement plan, weekends free again......I could explore the United States like Blake is doing.....

Pay no attention to that little man behind the curtain, it's all smoke and mirrors. SeattlePioneer is just advocating control by a 'strong central government' in BSA. His words may echo what's going through your DE's mind right now...he's confronting the reality that he dreads - that volunteers might realize that VOLUNTEERS are the ones really in control, and they might take it. Those phone calls are anxiety, concern, uncertainty, desperation....not for the pack, but rather for his own status.

After I cut the strings and this pack went its own way, we were far more successful than before, partly because ALL of our time and energy was spent on the BOYS with no more distraction from elsewhere. We had our own program, our own schedule, and we did whatever things we chose to do with the district IF we chose to do them.

I came into a pack that was dying, partly due to the ineptitude (or worse) of the DE, and left a pack that was thriving. The troop did largely the same thing. I'll PM you regarding potential road trip.

"Personally I think cutting off communication with the district and council is a mistake that will only make things worse.

Someone from the pack or chartered organization should be keeping in touch. The Committee Chair or Chartered Organization Rep would be the logical people.

I'm afraid this isn't going to end well"....

You are entitled to your opinion. Obviously Seattle, you don't have these kinds of problems in your council or district. You are lucky.

What has happened to Basementdweller is tragic. It is inexcusable. We need volunteers like Basementdweller.(This message has been edited by abel magwitch)

I've seen units do there own thing. While I admit I wish they would participate in some district/council activities, as long as the unit is thriving, I'm cool with it. It's when the unit begins to flounder, that's when I get concerned. We had 1 unit like that, and it folded. Have another that no one really knows the deal about, but again as far as we know they are thriving. That one is LDS, and they rarely attend things.

I suspect that part of Basement's difficulties is that he is being overwhelmed with issues and problems. That leads to a lack of resilience when problems come along.

That's something I'm familiar with, and indeed I'm having those issues myself right now.

That works both ways. A LOT of councils are being severely stressed with funding and financial problems. That leads them to be less patient with units they depend on for funding. Council leaders then have less resilience and patience as well.

When you get unit leaders that aren't resilient colliding with district and council leaders that aren't resiliant, you get problems.(This message has been edited by seattlepioneer)

SeattlePioneer, please look at Basementdweller's last post. Are you condoning the council and district's actions as he laid it out? I would love to hear your responses to his post.

I have watched as over 35 troops die over the past 25 years while plenty of pros received their bonuses and promotions and crony district and council leadership received their awards of merit and silver beavers for running the district fos or popcorn drive. My district supposedly has 35 units and has received the quality district award every year now for the past several years yet the district has no district commissioner, no assistant district chairs. What we do have is a district chairman who was appointed by the professional district director that you never see and are not allowed to contact unless you go through the dd or de, an fos chair, a popcorn chair and and advancement chair. Believe it or not, that's it. None of the remaining troops need the district or council. All the troops are doing their own thing.

Yes,and those 35 units were traditional troops.

The council did not need them. The council was not interested in troops. The council was more interested in school units and learning for life. Interestingly enough, even with the losses of troops over the past 25 years, the council membership amazingly increased.

SP,

I think you are combining two different people's comments:

Basement is saying he doesn't need the headache from a bunch of "professionals" who turn down any unit plans, who say they are going to cancel any unit activities, and tell him to put his hand down at RT because they have no intentions of answering his questions.....yet call him 12 times a day when it comnes to wanting to do a FOS presentation. They have no concern for a unit but hold their hand out for every cent they can get from the unit.

Abel saw the 35 troops die because they had no "professionals" in place in any of the necessary positions to help a troop, but had plenty of people who also collect money. All unit assistance was funnled - or should I say "kept in check" by the district/council fundraising coordinator.

So 35 troops in Abel's council have dies from lack of any help, yet everyone in a "profesional" position got bonuses galore.

35 troops fold and wither away, yet council says numbers are increasing?

No, this isn't a unit being overwhelmed. This is a Ponzi scheme disguised as a BSA council and district.

Those "professionals" forgot who works for who and why they are there. All they see is a source of income.

"Give me your money or get out of my way , because there are others with money to give me.

My grandaddy had a name for that: Gold diggers!