• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are really three different "removals" being discussed here, and it is becoming somewhat confusing, as it is not clear exactly what type the OP was implying.

1. Removal from the Unit: The COR or IH can remove anyone from their unit for a good reason, a bad reason, or no reason at all. This does not affect their eligibility for BSA membership in general (they would however, have to find a new unit, or district/council position prior to recharter in order to stay registered).

2. Removal from Scouting: Only the SE can do this, and it makes the person ineligible for membership at any level. It is my understanding that this should only be exercised in the case of YP, criminal or other serious background issues. It should not be used to solve petty disputes over district programming. I can't find any written guidance on this procedure; perhaps our "insider" members may have something to add.

3. Removal from district/council committee: I can't find anything written on this subject, but presumably this would be the province of the respective committee. I doubt that this is even the SE or DE's job. This would not effect a person's unit registration.

The threat that the OP received seems somewhat vague, but would appear to be Number 3, if it is, in fact Number 2, that appears to be a gross misuse of the power.

skeptic

The OP was talking about removal of an individual from scouting and that IS what my post was directed at. Your comments are out of place and inappropriate in this case as the last post from the OP verifies.

Why don't you worry just about your own posts in the future!!

B.P; not sure why you think I was referring to you in regard to political issues. I was referring to the raising of PC issues as reason for dismissal by a SE; and that was noted by another poster. Your comment is rude; and it does not reflect well on you, IMO.

Only brought up not to debate, but because they are valid reasons why a Scouter can be dismissed, and that is what we were asked to list.. If they weren't then it would be out of context..

But I think BP was not commenting on that, but the first paragraph where you mentioned him by name, and told him he was confusing the issue..

Well I missed he was poking at my comment, until he elaborated because "political" to me means topics like occupy Wall Street, or The US President.. Not a BSA issue..

Didn't think 2nd paragraph was directed a BP.. But, had no clue what tied his boxers in a knot..

skeptic

Re-read the first two lines of your previous post, it says it all. It was you who were off topic and acusatory, not me, and it does not reflect well on you.

I told you specifically when a SE is authorized and will revoke a BSA membership.

The last comment directed at you in this case was appropriate, like it or not.

Sorry if I'm interrupting your cat fight, but back to the OP ....

Why the heck would anyone put up with that crap. Someone here ought to sell t-shirts with POUND SAND in large letters. We could make a fortune.

Somehow, the threat of getting "fired" from my Scouting job just isn't something which effects my daily operations.

ScoutMythBuster, have you spoken to your Council Scout Executive about the threats from this DE?

Or even to the DE's boss (Sr District Executive, District Director, Field Director, etc)?

More to the point, has your Charter Organization Representative (who is a member of the district and council committees) spoken to any of the above folks about the threats?

So, to sum up, the only person who can take someone off a unit's charter, is the Chartering Organization. Something of this nature would have to be done by the Chartering Organization Representative or the Insitutional Head.

Membership in the BSA however, may be revoked by the Scout Executive, and generally involves broader safety issues such as youth protection or legal issues

For the those with Professional experience in the BSA. Is there something similar to what is known in the military as "Conduct Unbecomming"? A catch-all for just about anything? In teacher's Contracts it was known as "Moral Turpitude"

Does anything like that exist in the BSA?