• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ScoutMythBuster,

Not to sound snarky or like a wise guy, but you have asked a very open ended question on an internet forum. I am sure we could come up with thousands of "what if" scenarios, however none may address your specific concern.

Generally, if there is consensus between the leadership (especially the Chartered Org Rep) then someone could be asked to step down but the specifics, or at least not that wide a field of fire, would help answer your question better.

A little more specific:

A cubmaster disagrees with a location for a council event. Many people disagree with the location but since it is all individual voices they are silenced and told only they dislike the location. When one person decides to get a petition started they are told by their DE that they are wrong for organizing the voices to show that it is not one person but many. The DE threatens to remove the person from BSA even though the volunteer is still willing to support the event and help at the event to make it successful. The reason why the volunteer did this is because less than 40% of the units can either actually get to the event or to travel that far.

The DE should not have the right to remove a volunteer for this.. The Charter Org if they are frustrated with what they might see a an organized mutiny might..

The Council should only have the right to remove people due to crimial records of one type or another.. Period..

Otherwise it is the charter Orgs unit, and they have the right to choose their volunteers..

I would give your Charter Org Rep a jingle, and tell them the story, and get them to put the DE in their place..

Edited to add: Oh yeah they also have the right to kick out any homosexuals & atheists.(This message has been edited by moosetracker)

Hey you wouldn't happen to be talking about me would you.......

I frequently butt heads with the folks at the district level.

Have a meeting with the opposing voices and organize an event to their liking in an agreeable location.. Pretty simple in my book.

In the past we have organized our own webelos woods event, and day camp.

Determining locations for Council/District events is the purview of the Council/District committee who is organizing it. If someone at the unit level disagrees, they are free to stay home, or join the committee so they can have a voice in organizing future events, which can be a difficult and thankless job. Been there.

This is why its so important for CORs to be involved. CORs have the ability to drive whats happening in the district of council.

CORs have the majority voice on district and council committees, they determine which way to drive the car.

DEs can not remove volunteers at any level they do not have that ability. If the district is being properly operated, district volunteers can only be remove once a year when they are not renominated (by the nominating committee) or voted in by the district unit CORs.

In actuality the term District Executive is misleading as their responsibility is to only support district units and volunteers. They really have no powers as the term Executive suggests in the cooperate world.

This doesn't really respond to the original question, but if I (acting on behalf of my unit, not simply a personal preference) didn't like the location (or some other aspect of a district event), we simply would not attend it (or attend a similar event in another district. We might organize something better and more fun for our unit. If what the OP says about the number of dissatisfied unit leaders is true, and they all voted with their feet, that would be a much more powerful message than a signature campaign.

@The Blancmange

I was told, in NO uncertain terms that organizing units to go elsewhere would be considered mutiny and I would be immediately dismissed by my DE. I don't believe that he has the authority. I also enjoyed the fact that he used the Military Term of Mutiny since he has constantly reminded me that we are not a military type organization. (LOL)

ScoutMythBuster - Are we talking of you working in a District capacity, or in a unit capacity..

If unit then neither SE or DE can remove you..

In District level.. They may not themselve be able to remove you as DE.. Not sure about SE level, someone has to have the authority to remove a disruptive person, and without waiting a year to do so.. Whether it be a committee vote or the right of the District Chair, or the SE..

So somewhere in their there is some provision on who has the authority to move a District level volunteer since the COR is not the one in charge of it.

Working at District level you should be providing aid to the district, not disrupting it.. If you don't agree, you just don't support it..

If you are at a unit level, then you are more able to complain and cause a mutiny against the district, even if getting other units to support the mutiny..

As a district Representitive then, one event is not so important as to cause total kaos.. There will be other events.. Do not support it.. The others who disagree should not support it.. But you as a district person should not be charging all the units of the district into battle (at least as a representative of the District)..

If I remember correctly, I think you once said you took on the Training Chair position. That is my district function as well. Although I have alter a few things (added on trainings, or changed location) to accomadate others.. Once the Council calander comes out I am honor bound to keep the date posted.. It would be a slap in the face if the District Membership chair started a campaign for all the units to boycott my training date.. Regardless of how many had a conflict on the date picked.. Let me provide the training on the date on the calendar, and work to add a different training at a different time, if there is a large enough demand.

moose

See my post in the DE thread, but you are in error on one point. The SE and only the SE has the right to rescind any individuals membership in the BSA, once that is done the person can no longer serve in any scouting capacity. The BSA sends a letter to the CO advising them this individual has had their membership revoked and can no longer serve in any scouting position. If there has been criminal activity or child abuse involved this information is then forwarded to the D.A.'s office for prosecution.

Eagle92

You know better than that, lol. Like I said I once had to hand deliver the letter on behalf of the SE and Council Pres to an individual whose membership the SE revoked for child endangerment and tell him to leave the troop meeting. I took along my dist commissioner, who was a sheriffs deputy, and it was a pretty sad occassion.

Two comments here.

B.P, while I know you were a pro at one time, I believe you are partly muddying the waters in regard to SE only can remove. As noted before, the CO has the final say on unit leadership. As I understand it, they can terminate the individual's membership, at least in their unit, which may be where we are fuzzy. I guess the individual could technically go elsewhere if the SE or other units should choose to accept that. We have dismissed a couple over the years, but we did notify the council and let them know our reasons, and they were removed.

I personally would really appreciate NOT HAVING POLITICAL ISSUES BROUGHT UP IN THREADS OUT SIDE OF THAT CATEGORY. We have more than enough opportunity to butt heads there; and comments relating to those issues, outside of there, really should be kept out of other discussions, in my opinion. Thanks to all for considering my comments here.