In my opinion it helped give scouts a broader sense of leadership outside of scouting, but using scouting as an application.

At the NYLT I was at we had more venturers than scouts, here the problem was that they were not familiar enough with scoutings organization and patrols which slowed it down a bit, but since part of NYLT is to also teach whoever I there what everything is. And it was easier to work with the venturers than the scouts who didn't even know what PLC was because their SM took care of everything.

KC9DDI writes:

From where it is now, I think we need to drop the generic, one-course-fits-all-programs method, and instead focus on providing targeted, specific, advanced training to Boy Scouts and to Venturers, directed towards the unique elements in their own respective programs.

But Leadership Development has Program Neutered even "specific" training: It removed the Patrol Leader and any description of a working Patrol from the Patrol Method session of Scoutmaster Specific Training and replaced with the EDGE method.

In fact the only mention of the Patrol Method in the entire session is the FAKE Baden-Powell quote that presumes to quote B-P as advancing the Patrol Method as a way to "run a troop" (as if a "Real" Patrol has no existence beyond voting in the PLC for Troop activities and then cooking and cleaning up for them).

KC9DDI writes:

I think we need to practice what we preach and evaluate the effectiveness of the current curriculum

The most obvious criterion is how well they do with Baden-Powell's minimum standard for the Patrol System (150-300 feet between Patrols on Troop campouts).

A couple of my natural leaders staffed the old NYLT and did well at 300 feet. However, those of my Scouts with no pre-existing leadership talent (bright, but not natural leaders) returned spouting jargon but unable to control Scouts without the SPL.

Yours at 300,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

Hi Kudu - Some very good points.

Back when we could refer to patrols as patrols, we did very strongly emphasize how a functional patrol works, and how that relates to a functional troop. We also focused heavily on developing the patrol leader, and training him to, well, lead a patrol... Now we don't do that.

The most obvious criterion is how well they do with Baden-Powell's minimum standard for the Patrol System (150-300 feet between Patrols on Troop campouts).

Maybe the most obvious, but probably not the most useful. We spaced our patrols at least 300 feet apart in the old program, and continue to place our "small teams" at least 300 feet apart in the new program (ok, to be fair, we have one camp site that's a little on the smaller side, so we're probably looking at 150-200 feet for the troop that occupies that site.) Unfortunately the distance between patrols isn't helping us overcome some deficiencies in the core training material.

I'm curious about the deficiencies. Are most based upon terminology? Does the same written material work for both programs? Do the Scouts get it? Do the Venturers get it?

What if ... you run one week with Boy Scout terminology for just Boy Scouts, then run a week for Venturers with Venturing terminology? Would it make it more understandable to the players?

BDPT00