We had a similar issue up here in Maine this summer. I don't recall if it was a parent or grandparent. He built a treehouse for his son/grandson and was forced to remove it. Not because he forgot to get a permit, but because it was 2 ft too close to the lake and within the shoreland (no development) zone. He got the town to compromise and allow him to leave it up through the end of summer.

This is the link/report I found. They mention the boys earning Scout badges, but no uniforms to be seen here.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/virginia/falls-church-homeowners-treehouse-found-to-be-in-violation-of-fairfax-countys-zoning-laws-101011

Zoning board threatens with demo order,tree house is a REALLY NICE one, the PTB consider it an addition to the main house.

As the owner stated in the article, the treehouse is on the side of his house. He must live on a corner though. When on a corner the city considers you to have two front yards and two side yards. I had the same issue when building a shed when I lived on the corner. The treehouse probably falls under the regulations as a shed, meaning he doesn't need a permit if it is under a certain size.(ie 150 sq. ft.) Also sheds must be in the back yard. On a corner lot they consider the area directly behind the house to be the operative back yard. To put one on the side you would still need a variance. He may have asked if he needed a permit for a treehouse and was told that he didn't. It may never of come up in conversation that he was on a corner lot.

In my case I was just finishing the shingles when I got the letter informing me I was in violation of the town ordinances. I went to the zoning commission meeting and received a variance because I was able to show that I could not use my small back yard due to a major powerline that tranversed my "BackYard" I also received letters from my neighbors of no complaint. I also had put the shed too close to the house but that was due to water drainage. In the end I was able to keep the much needed shed. The money saved by not getting a permit was spent for the variance.