Why is the uniform important?

RS,

I'm waiting for Sea Scouts to be able to wear the NWUs since there is an agreement between BSA and the USN for Sea Scouts to use their uniforms with modifications. As for USCG uniforms, I know of shome ships that have used them, again with Sea Scout modifications. I've aslo seen pics of one ship wearing old BDUs, don't remember is Sea Scout insignia was on them or not though.

As for my troop growing up, once we reached camp, most of the time once the campsite was set up, we switched into cammies, saving the uniforms for the ride home.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "mandatory" wearing of the uniform on all trips has always been interesting to me. I'm not talking about a trip where the troop is going to a district or council event, or where the trip may include stops along the way. In both of those cases, being identified as a unit or a Boy Scout troop has its advantages. I'm talking about the troop camping trip that is a 90 minute drive from gathering to campsite or trail. How would you explain to a boy why you need to wear the shirt for a car ride, take it off and leave it in the car so it doesn't get dirty, then put it on for the car ride home.

Heck, I would like someone to explain the benefit to me.

Eagle92

Your idea of a standard uniform for all Venturing to increase public awareness is just plain ridiculous. Youth in their middle to late teens the last thing they want is to wear is anything bearing any resemblance to a uniform,and it always seem the adults who love to run around in their boy scout uniforms reliving their childhood are the ones who always bring this idea up as the solution. So yeah lets insist Venturers all wear a boy scout style uniform and watch them drop away even faster than they do in boy scouts.

Whether you realize it or not scouting is right now at a crucial crossroads with ever increasing changes in programs getting us further away from our roots and an ever increasing number of youth dropping out of the program, especially in the first year. Our venturing crew as of this week has reached 70 in number, after 10 years as a venturing advisor I know what works and what doesn't work in runnning a successful venturing program. Your idea is plainly unrealistic and will do nothing to promote Venturing, but it would drive the teens away.

Irsap,

While my troop always said uniforms for the ride there and back, it was created by the PLC and enforced by them. Yep I saw a PL send a scout in his patrol back home to get his uniform on before leaving on a trip. Adults didn't say anything, it was all on the PL.

While all of our Sunday return trips included a stop at MacDonalds for lunch, we timed it so that we would be home after the morning church services (about 1:30- 2PM) no matter how far away, we always wore the uniforms because it was expected. I do know that one time driving to a camp, my car broke down. We were in uniform, and we got help rather readily. Another time I was in uniform driving to a pharmacy for one of my sick scouts, the uniform was because I was suppose to return in time for dinner, when someone pulled out in front of me. This caused me to go into a ditch to avoid hitting them. A tow truck happen to see me, got me out of the ditch, and didn't charge me b/c 'I hadn't done my good deed for the day yet."

BP,

A few comments.

1) Agree with you 110% with the crossroads comment. We as a whole are promising one thing: adventure, the outdoors,and fun, yet are not delivering that promise. We do need to get back to our roots.

2)I don't think uniforms are that big of a deal killer with Venturers, but programing, or lack there of, is what is hurting. A consistant active program is the key. And let's face it, national has a role to play in the lack of consistant program. National keeps changing things to the older youth program: Sea Scouts, Senior Scouts, Explorer Scouts, Explorers, Sea Explorers, Leadership Corps, venture crews, ad nauseum. It seems that national cannot let a program develop long enough to be on it's own and recognizable, before it changes. EMB, you and other folks who have been in the field longer than I can probably elaborate a lot more.

From my perspective, it is onlythe har dworkof volunteers at the local level who are providing a consistant program. Sea Scouting is probably the best example of that as national has not done much, but the program is still alive.

I'll back BP with the uniform experience. The more you push, the more they walk. The only way it happens is if the youth in the crew make it their own idea.

But, I'll also agree that because my crew hasn't settled on a uniform over the past 6 years, they are nearly invisible in the community. They grow by word of mouth. I'm pretty convinced that's not good enough. A lot of times a youth will show up and say "I didn't realize __ was in this crew!"

Skip, the necker is making more and more sense to me. I'll pitch it to my officers. After all, our VP did suggest capes a while back. (And you think the price of a field uni is expensive!) Could you post a site with some pics of several varieties, maybe I can use it as a conversation starter?

It would be a really neat twist of fate if they did adopt the colors of what was once our troop necker! (The boys in the troop dropped it quite a few years ago.) Then at troop meetings a boy could wear both uni's to signify his membership in both units!

Son's crew recently adopted a lightweight, quick-dry fabric, T shirt with their venturing crew logo on it. They are all happy w/ it. The boys who are also in the troop lobbied to adopt scout pants too (they like the switch backs a lot). The girls weren't the least bit interested in those pants though - they don't fit many girls well and they're "ugly."

So, for now, a T shirt is the uniform. Had the issue been pushed by some adult, I think the girls would've given them an earful, in return.

Could you post a site with some pics of several varieties, maybe I can use it as a conversation starter?

Yah, qwazse, just point 'em at da youth pages on the WOSM site (scout.org). You'll see uniforms ranging from T-Shirts to BSA style, but da one thing that will be ubiquitous will be neckers of every style and color, worn over everything. Some kids wearin' a dozen different ones they have been given by international friends. It'll make it very clear that it's a youth thing, not an adult thing.

Interestingly, neckers play even better in coed groups. No problems with fit da way Lisabob describes ;).

Beavah

Beavah

It would be interesting to see the necker become the international symbol/uniform of all scouts worldwide, worn over a durable generic outdoor style shirt with a minimum to no patches sewn on. The BSA would probably have the most difficult time making the adjustment, not with the youth but with the adult scouters. The uniform would then become a true symbol of the worlds scouting programs unity, instead of a billboard advertising look at me and everything I have done. Interesting to think about.

Yah, that's pretty much what it is already, BadenP. Relatively few countries have da pseudo-military style uniform we do, and they tend to be countries with governments we're not too crazy about. ;) Most use da necker over generic outdoor or youth-wear, or a low-key "official" shirt with similarly low-key patches.

As in most things in worldwide scouting, da BSA is the oddball. :p

B

Now then, examples of neckers on youth....

While I have hundreds of photos of my own merry band we also have a local agreement with parents that they are generally only posted on the internet on our groups picassa account as private albums and only parents, leaders and selected known (in the real world) individuals are invited to view, I am sure you understand.

However.... a few links I can point you towards

First we live blogged a trip to Amsterdam about a year ago, you can find the blog here

http://12thcambridge.wordpress.com/

Apologies for the dodgy formatting in places but it was all done from a Blackberry while on the move!

This link is the staff of Tolmers scout campsite (the young and the young at heart) spoofing Nickleback (always funny) and most are in site neckers

These are the public photos from Cubjam 2009 (a mini jamboree just for cubs, I went and it was amazing fun!)

http://www.cubjam.org.uk/09/live/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&func=viewcategory&catid=1&Itemid=61

As you can see, neckers are popular! Mine that went to Amsterdam got issued with the red white and blue UK neckers and wear them with real pride and wont be seperated from them!