Too many flag ribbons?

I don't know if this has ever been discussed here b/c the search feature is not working apparently.

Our pack has been around for a while so we have a lot of ribbons--to the point where the flag is heavy for boys to carry for flag ceremonies.

Do you put just "current" ribbons on the flag and keep the old ones for special occasions or display? Or...???

I thought this could apply to troops as well so I put it in the open forum.

We had the same issue until I read what somebody here on this site did: They took a second flag staff and hung the ribbons from it.

So what we do is keet the last 10 award ribbons...for whatever they are : Summer activity, quality unit, etc... on the flag, and any beyond the ten go in a staff all their own.

I did read where another unit would sting them together like the little triangle flag streamers you see outside store and gas stations and strech them across the room during pack meetings.

My troop had a separate staff with most, not all but most, of the ribbons on it. If memory serves, only the current year's stuff went on the troop flag. One of the dad's who was a carpenter made a wooden disk to put on hte flag pole to attach the ribbons to. looked great at COHs.

Both the Pack and the Troop put the last ribbon received on the flag staff. It would replace the ribbon earned just before it. That ribbon would then added to the ribbon collection - both the Pack and the Troop used poles to tie the ribbons to.

We created a large wooden plaque (about 4 feet long) in the shape of an eagle head and outstretched wings. On the bottom and back are lots of eye screws with spring clips on them. We sorted all of the old ribbons we could find (back to the early '80s, though the troop formed in the '60s) into bundles of 5, strung each bundle on a safety pin (through the little metal grommet at the top of the ribbon) and hung the bundles on the spring clips so that they kinda sorta look like feathers hanging from the bottom of the eagle's wings. The eagle is hung on its own stand and displayed at Courts of Honor.

Dan Kurtenbach

Fairfax, VA

Go to your arts and crafts store and purchase several acid free display boards or panels. The three fold variety is good, but the flat 1/8 thick foamcore is good too. Ask the staff.

Also, ask for acid free double stick tape.

Take ALL the ribbons off , gently wipe them clean with a DRY cloth and gently (cool) iron them, print side down. If you do it print side up, you risk rubbing the print off. Do not wash them in a wash machine, the print can come off there, too.

Organize the history of your pack as you will, straight chronologically, or by activity, or as you will, lay the ribbons attractively on the boards. Make sure the ribbons are identified on the tag on the back as to date, whu and what...

Use the double stick tape to affix your mementos for all to see and save.

Attach the next ribbons to your flag and enjoy.