We have both a Venture Crew and a Boy Scout Troop, we have a new scout wanting to join either unit, he is 16 years old and will not make Eagle if he chooses to go into the Boy Scout side of the house. So, what do you think, join Boy Scouts or Venturing? What is everybody's thoughts?

I guess I don't understand what more there is to this than what the boy wants to do?

Explain the unique program and expectations of both the troop and the crew, and let him decide between the troop, the crew, or both.

I did talk with the boy and his mother, I did tell them about both units and what each one has to offer. the mother was asking me for my recomendation, it is a tough call, it would be truly up to the boy as to what he wanted to do. I just wanted to see what others thought.

I would lean toward Crew if nothing else at that age a lot of boys seem more interested in that program --if they do the activities he likes. The girls don't hurt. But then again some boys would like scouts.

I dislike the "too old for Eagle" argument. That should not be the focus for scouts.

Tampa Turtle says:

I dislike the "too old for Eagle" argument. That should not be the focus for scouts.

I think that's really up to the young man to decide -- particularly if you broaden the issue from "Eagle" to "advancement in general." I think that someone should explain to him the Boy Scout advancement program as well as the Venturing recognition program and what he would have to do to participate in each. He may not be interested in either -- in which case his main decision-making point would probably be which unit has a program that best suits his interests. Or maybe, once he understands that Venturing has a recognition program that involves activities appropriate for the the 14-21 age group, whereas in Boy Scouting, if he wanted to advance at all he would have to start with activities that are geared more to a 10-12 age group, that might influence his decision. But who knows? Maybe his sole interest is in camping, and ''maybe'' the troop has a better camping program than the crew. (It's probably the case somewhere.) Maybe the presence of young ladies in the crew will be a factor in his decision, one way or the other. There are a number of factors, but I don't think advancement should be excluded as a possible factor.

Do they meet at different times? If so, join both and let him figure it out.

My experience is new scouts 14 and older don't usually stay in troop programs very long for the same reason older scouts don't do well in troops that make a big program changes.

Barry