Compliment or am I a sucker?

Last year, I took over the position of Cub Scout Camp promotions for my district. I worked it and brought numbers up ALOT - although I will not say it was all me and not other reasons also.

THis year, I was asked again to be Cub Scout Camp Promotions for my district. Apparently, somebody at council thinks I am doing a great job.

4 days ago, I was asked to give a presentation at our Council Preview about cub scout camping . I was told : "Forget anything scripted and just tell us what it is you have been doing."

Today, my DE asked if I wanted to run a couple sign up nights at my local schools. He said: "I can give all the,forms, materials, flyers and stuff and I can also give you a script, but doubt you'll need it."

I kinda started feel pretty good too. No, not knock people over with my big "wide load" size ego good, but that I was actually doing a good job at this Cub Scouting thing.

Then it hit me: And then it hit me...am I walking around "sucker" stamped on my forehead?

So, should I take it as a compliment, or realize I just fell for something? :)

Either way, I still enjoy doing it.

Congradulations.. Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job.

But.. Yes they know a good thing when they see it and will latch on with all their might.

So again, for you to notice BEFORE they suck you under is a good thing.. Keep evaluating and start saying "NO" when it is too much, and you will do fine.

ScoutFish, you fell for the oldest trick in the book! Someone noticed you're competent, capable, motivated, and willing - and recognizing this they...

asked you to do more.

The greatest compliment is to be invited back. I'd not think you're a sucker - a valuable asset to the Scouting program sure, but not a sucker. As long as you're enjoying what you're doing and able to stay balanced in your life - live it up! You're good at what you do and others want your talents put to good use.

You need to learn to take the compliment and say know. If you say Yes to many times you will be doing many things poorly instead of one or two things well. Avoid scouter burnout. I was feeling a bit overwhelmed a while back and quit several positions. You can improve your cub camp promotion by utilizing the Order of the Arrow to help you.

Your DE is using the standard textbook BSA adult recruiting technique. Approach them one on one, present a defined task to do, offer them moral support, then set the hook. Why does BSA teach this? Because it works, DUH. Much better than making an announcement at RT that "anyone interested in being the Membership Chair please see me after the meeting".

BTW, none of the above is meant as criticism...if it's fun, do it! WHen it ceases to be fun, you can say no. Scout on!

You are experiencing a variation of the "winner's curse" in which the winner in an auction has likely paid a little MORE than the item is worth, or at least the winner begins to worry about that being the case after he wins it.

So, my advice: It's your illusion, make it a happy one. You'll never know for sure so you might as well go with the best of the options and stay with it until evidence to the contrary presents itself.

...or you can go insane trying to sort it out...might be too late to avoid that already....;)

Now that you know the proper techniques, be on the lookout for other people you can ask to help you with tasks that need to be done.

A good leader is someone who can take charge and do something that needs to be done.

A truly EXCELLENT leader is someone who can get other people to do tasks that need to be done.

We're all suckers, aren't we!?

That's what makes it all fun, but you have to learn/know when to say 'no'. I learned a little too late and had other spin off issues because of it - so don't let that happen to you!

Enjoy the ride, this Scouting thing is great!