Quote on Outdoor Program from 3rd Handbook for Scoutmasters - 1945

New to this forum and my first post, but not to Scouting. Have been throughly enjoying reading about "how it was done" from some 1930s/1940s Scoutmaster Handbook(s). Saw this quote and will be taking it to our Troop and Troop Committee next month:

"...the Troop meetings are leading to the climax of each month: the outdoor adventure. The Troop program consists of outings supported by Troop meetings, rather than of Troop meetings with occasional outings thrown in as supplementary features." - Vol. 2 of the "Handbook for Scoutmasters" page 602 (1945)

F.A.S.

The main focus of my program was on the monthly outing, with Troop a troop meeting to recover from the last camping trip and a couple of meeting to get ready for the next one.

There were more to the meetings than just outings, but they were a main core purpose of the meetings.

Our troop did two annual planning sessions each year where the PLC first picked a theme for each month, then a campsite location for that theme. The whole month is planned around the theme. That is how we taught it at our then Council youth leadership development course, JLTC.

Barry

Packsaddle, got a chuckle from your comment....

I don't have fond memories about scouting as presented in my first scout handbook, 1974...even as a Tenderfoot, I thought it was pretty light on outdoors stuff. Then I read a couple prior editions and that confirmed it.

Next edition, the Green Bar Bill revival, yes, very happy days reading that one. Traditional scouting was back.

Meetings are chaotic without having an event to plan for, the theme to build on, the work to get ready for it. That is the reason my troop MUST camp every month, otherwise the meetings are boring.

I knew this was the case before I read this quote, but it confirms what I've know for 5 years as SM. The outdoor program is the motor of the program. Without it, you're not going anywhere.