10 Things to Revitalize a Troop

The BSA recognizes that different age boys will have differing interests. Thats why they suggest having three levels of skill instruction during a Troop meeting. The Levels are

New Scout Patrol

Regular Patrol

Venrure Patrol

This is an add-on to BadenP's suggestion about running multiple "mini-troops", have three similar programs but at varying levels of challenges to meet the scouts abilities.

On Campouts the New Scout patrol is closest to the adults and the Venture Patrol the farthest out. Make it clear as scouts show skill and ability and the ability to use them, they start to move out and be on their own

PS, don't think you have to do this on your own, or even with the other adults. Let the scouts do it, they will have a blast and since its their program, they will embrace it. WHo know, there may come a time when the New Scouts are closest to the adults (by 300 feet) everything is relative

Thanks evil and OGE.

1. We just switched to mixed age patrols and a lot of boys and parents did not bolt as threatened. New patrol names, new histories. We had a NSP for awhile; I do not know if we will do that next year or sling 'em right into the existing Patrols. So far the newbies are not as big a "burden" as expected as they bring enthusiasm and obviously look up to the older boys. So far so good.

2. We have a High Adventure Patrol for the older boys; they do week long canoe trips, hike the AT etc. We thought about doing an official Venture Patrol. A lot of these older boys are still less active in the Troop meetings but ares still connected.

3. Pushing more and more responsibilities to the boys; the Troop is just too big to do otherwise. We are picking up some static from the grey beards on this --the Troop used to be small and more adult run; but in any case the old way wasn't working.

I think the main goal over the next year is going to be if we can make the boy-led Patrol thing work in the face of the MB/advancement pressures, parental need for control, and the human tendency to want to go back to the old and easy way to do things. Ask me again in 6 months.

TT, It sounds like you all have great program but who designs and drives it? What are you PLC meetings like? Are they adult run or adult directed? If the older scouts feel no ownership of the program that may be a reason they leave.

Our troop has been working for years on making the scouts responsible for their own program. It takes training, training the adult leaders to see the vision of boy led and continuous training for the scouts as they move through the program. We are on our 5th or 6th year of regular yearly TLT training and the difference between that first year's PLC and the present PLC is amazing. These guys have an investment in the program and know they have a responsibility to "pay it forward" to the younger scouts.

Almost a third to a half of our troop is comprised of HS aged boys.

Mr Norman, or may I call you Spiney,

We are trying to institute the change. Resistance from some adults "boys will waste time" and "boy lead leads to Lord of the Flys". Took us newer guys over a year to make things happen. Adults rough out a Calendar (blocking out the special events, conflicts, school schedules) and leaving slots for camping trips. What activities on what trips are up to the boys-this will be done at the PLC.

As an ASM I do not know what the PLC's are like.

Troop meetings are planned by the SPL and the PLC. We are planning to move the adult announcements all online --they cannot take up a lot of time. Boys having been running most of the Troop meetings in the last year --and the meetings look much more chaotic. We have been doing more MB work at Troop meetings at the request of the boys.

We need to train boys and adults in what Patrol based and boy led really means.

New mixed-age Patrols are just getting up and running. 1/2 have taken advantage of the summer to start gelling. We are letting the Patrols do some Patrol level activities if they want --we have enough adults to give them the needed support to make it happen if they really want to do so.

We are also going to as much Patrol based equipment as possible; we are re-fitting everyone so they all stay on the same level. After that any damage or loss is on them. We used to be short on equipment and when stuff is shared there is naturally much less care and responsibility. Naturally all gear will be marked per each patrol's new color. This requires more Patrol Boxes (I lost the Box-Backpacking argument) and haulage then before. We had used blended temp patrols at campouts for cooking purposes but it NEVER worked.

I have advocated for more Patrol spacing at campouts--we will see how well that works. Sometimes space is pretty limited and we can get pretty crowded.

Adults will arrange some patrol and skill competitions as pre-meeting activities and are encouraging more game and fun-time. This is all a bit alien to the culture so we feel we will need to intervene in the beginning. After things get going the SPL can pick what things they want for pre-meeting, etc.

I love the idea of Troop level training. I think we may move in that direction but a lot is on the plate now.

TT, Again it sounds like you have a great program but are just missing that one spark. I hate to sound like a broken record but TLT is just the thing I think your troop needs. Not just for the boys but for the adults as well. You're sure to get more resistance from them than anyone else.

However, I am not advocating that the BSA TLT syllabus is the panacea for troop operations. Myself and another ASM in the troop developed the program we use over the last 5 years. Yes, it is based on the BSA syllabus, but it is also based on the previous Junior Leader Training syllabus and a lot of influence from our friend Kudu over at www.Inquiry.net. (Thanks Kudu!)

It really helps the older boys see that it really is their program and does wonders for retention once the game becomes fun for them again.

Pm me if you'd like and I'll send you what we have done. I think I have a bunch of files rumbling around my computer from the last session.

It is a slippery slope from laser tag to water pistols and marshmallow shooters

You use the lasers to roast the marshmallows, and the water pistols to put them out if they catch fire. It's a LNT thing - saves building a campfire!

But on the original topic, it sounds like things are headed in the right direction, and the inevitable bumps and complaints are just proof you're changing the status quo.

The prohibition on laser tag is to protect Boy Scouts from thinking bad thoughts.

Nothing revitalizes a Troop faster than Baden-Powell's "Bad Thoughts" Wide Games (not yet specified in the Den Mothers & Paper Eagles' Guide to Safe Scouting):

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/games/laser_alternatives.htm

"Man Hunt" is a whole category of Wide Games. We use red laser pointers to keep these Man Hunt games interesting. Usually the quarry (a pair of older Scouts), is required to point one of their two lasers near the pursuing Scouts every five or ten minutes to show they are being observed. By splitting up, the pair can use strategy to confuse the pursuers.

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/games/wide/index.htm

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu