Boy Scout Leader Jailed for Bullet in Fanny Pack

At the 2010 Jambo, the shotgun range had shells with the Jambo logo on them. Boys could take a spent shell as a souviner. Just to play it sahe, the SM's collected them so we wouldn't get stopped by security if boys had them in their pockets or carry-on daypacks. Didn't matter, one boy made it all the way home with one in his daypack.

Googling about 15 different various sites - without any garantee of accuracy - it seems that handguns are illegal in the Bahamas.

According to 3rd hand ifo on traveling in your own private boat, you have to keep ALL pistols and rifles locked securely in your boat as well as have an recorded inventory of all ammo along with all guns and present it to Bahaman authorities. Also, if they decide to inspect your cache of SECURED firearms and ammo, it had better match the logged inventory exactly.

Interestingly enough, it seems that shotguns are allowed. Hunting and whatever else? ?

OK, Calico, I can't help myself - a teacup poodle and a handgun? Have you seen the South Park episode where Paris Hilton's little dogs keep committing suicide in the back seat of her limo after listening to her conversation on the phone?

Have to remember to get those spent shells out of my winter coat pocket...

Vicki

packsaddle:

In my case, you get the very long, drawn out search of all of your belongings when the little acne swab test shows something. My bags from a trip had enough powder residue, and when I was pulled for the Stridex test (what I call it when they wipe down your bag with the little cotton patch), it was positive.

I was able to explain that I had been hunting, and shooting, and reloading. They still unpacked everything, and I got to get up close and personal with a nice man from TSA as well.

Luckily, it appears I did NOT make the special list after that, so I don't get pulled every time I travel.

It happened to me once. Took a trip involving an airline flight. Security saw something on the scanner and took my carry-on to search. It was a typical book bag backpack with lots of different zippered compartments. They didnt find anything and let me continue.

When I unpacked at my destination, I found two shotgun shells in one of th zippered compartments. I did not bring them back home, and I bought a seperate bag to take on future hunting trips.

OK, I'm not worried cause there's almost no chance I'll ever have ammo or use my bags just after going to the range. But I do chemical procedures that involve boiling concentrated nitric, sulfuric, and other acids, plus the use of concentrated peroxides and perchlorates, persulfates...you get the picture. And I DO sometimes have my bags in the lab if I have to leave for a trip later in the day.

So...what do those tests detect? Are they specific for certain compounds or are they looking for any kind of combined nitrogen or other elements? Am I going to get to sit with 'group W' someday? Should I add another couple of days or so to my travel schedule?