Boy Scout Leader Jailed for Bullet in Fanny Pack

Oh good grief!

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2011/07/20/boy-scout-leader-jailed-for-bullet-in-fanny-pack/

LIBERTY, Mo. (AP) A Missouri man is home after spending four days in a jail in the Bahamas because airport security found a bullet in his fanny pack.

Forty-eight-year-old Darrell Lapp returned Tuesday to Liberty after a scuba diving trip with a Boy Scout troop.

His ordeal began last Friday when airport security in Freeport, Bahamas found a .32-caliber bullet inside his fanny pack. He was charged with possessing ammunition and sent to a jail in Nassau. Lapp says he thinks he left the bullet in his pack after a hunting trip.

His wife found a lawyer, who was able to get the criminal charge dismissed. Lapp was released from jail Monday night.

Its unclear how the bullet was not detected by security at Kansas City International Airport and in Nassau.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.

WOW! bet he won't forget to double check all his bags, packs, and luggage next time.

It really sucks as it's obvious ( to us) that he had no foul intentions, but you have to realize that security and law enforcement don't know you and you could be a terrorists for all they know.

And as mentioned above, you have to obey the rules of where you are.

But it dos make for a great educational story to be told at many meetings, classrooms and campfires.

Yah, and another win for da TSA security theater, eh? Gotta love that they let him get on the plane and fly to the Bahamas with the bullet in his pack. Too busy frisking little girls I bet ;).

Beavah

Wow....glad the trip wasn't to Mexico ... he'd still have a few months and a $$$$ to get out.

Another thought: A BSA diving trip to the Bahamas ... no way I could afford being in that troop.

.32 ACP -- Browning M1922 .. not your average hunting pistol.(This message has been edited by Engineer61)

The Walther PPK also uses that round.

He could be a spy. Maybe 009 or something?

Explains the funding for "A troop adventure trip" - wink wink! :)

Maybe they were holding him for espionage or some other treasonous act!

Which also explains how he got past Kansas City TSA .

I definitely feel for the guy, but I can't help to draw the parallel to the "make sure you don't have your pocketknife in your backpack" talk we give Cub Scouts during Whitlin' Chip instruction.

Mea culpa

Epalmer, my apologies. This is the first time ever that when I deleted a duplicate post, it deleted BOTH of them. I have no idea why it didn't work the way it was supposed to but there is no way to recover. Please repost if you can and accept my apology.

Packsaddle

In Missouri, centerfire pistols and revolvers can be used to hunt deer.

It's also not unusual for hunters to carry pistols as well as rifles or shotguns.

In Maine, you are required to carry a pistol in order to hunt raccoons. You don't have to use it, but you have to carry it.