So, I would like to hear how your troops handle elections for SPL and how your patrols handle elections for PL.

Specifically I am looking for who actually "runs" the election processes, how nominations are made and what, if any, troop policies you have in place to govern this process, including "eligibility" requirements.

Following elections, how do you handle appointed positions, such as Scribe, QM, Chaplain's Aide, etc? Is the slate wiped clean and the new SPL assigns these positions?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Depending upon who was running for SPL, it was the current SPL, or the SM who held the SPL elections. We did have requirements for SPL though: First Class or Higher and had to be a PL at some point.

PL elections were usually moderated by a Leadership Corps member.

Yep SPL, with advice from the SM, will appoint those.

Current SPL holds the new SPL elections. SPL Candidates must be 1st Class and have been ASPL, PL, or Troop Guide. PL's elections also held by SPL, with minimum requirement for eligibility 1st Class.

SPL with concurrence from Scoutmaster appoints the other positions.

Ditto mikecummings & E92, but we also had the candidates write up a quick reason why they wanted to be SPL and (more importantly) required one of the parents to sign it. We wanted to make sure the parent knew what their son was ready to commit to especially if he wasnt driving yet. Those were required to be turned in to the SM before the elections. The SM would observe the counting, just like in OA, but the outgoing SPL would announce the winner, pass on his legacy materials, and induct the new SPL officially. Watching the speeches and Q&A from the boys before the voting was always an adventure...!

Our Troop chartered typically 25ish, so we had plenty of guys to fill leadership roles. I would only allow them to take on one role at a term (6 months). If they did that one role well, then I was ecstatic! The ASPL becomes a real lynchpin in the troop operation by making sure all the additional PORs/POLs were doing their jobs.

The SPL runs the meeting where the new candidates for SPL give a quick speech. Scouts nominate themselves by talking to the SM in advance. The votes are given to the Scoutmaster who counts them. The SPL, with approval from the SM, appoints the ASPL. Then the patrols split up and choose their own patrol leaders. The SPL then appoints the rest of the positions. There are no defined criteria for any position.

Because we had problems with boy leadership not doing their jobs we had boys interested in Leadership positions fill out a form listing the duties and eligibility as well as a short essay on why they wanted the job.

We did not review the essays but the assumption was if they could not even fill out a form to be eligible or appointed than they were not likely to take the job seriously enough.

For the SPL election the SPL ran, we had secret ballots and the outgoing leadership counted the ballots with a ASM as a neutral observer. It turned out OK.

For SPL elections Id accept self nominations up to the night of the election with the letter and parent signature. In weeks leading up to the election at closing I'd announce anyone interested should see me right away so I could remind if they didnt know I wanted to see the parental signed letter.

For PL elections wed wait until the following week in case there were any patrol re-alignments done to have PL elections during their Patrol Meeting time. The patrols would handle it on their own in whatever manner they wanted as long as a PLC member recognized it as legitimate.

In addition to only one position per Scout, I would not allow a Scout to have the same position for two consecutive terms.

The Scribe runs the election (unless he is a candidate for SPL - then the most senior Scout holding a POR not running for SPL runs the election). Votes are counted by the Scribe in presence of 2 randomly picked Scouts and the SM. The Scribe announces the winner who takes office the next week. During this week of transition, the new SPL makes his appointments of ASPL and the other POR's, except for PL's. Patrols are reorganized the night of the election (if neccessary) and choose their PL during the transition week.

At the next meeting, all previous POR holder's terms end and the new terms begin. The term is for 6 months. The only exception is Den Chief. They are generally appointed at the beginning of a Pack year, which may not correspond to a Troop election, and are appointed for the entire Pack year.

Nominations for SPL can be from any Scout, including a Scout himself. It is suggested that the Scouts be at least First Class and have held at least one POR but it is not required. The Scouts can nominate a brand new Scout if they want. Never had the Scouts elect someone who was not at least First Class so they generally self select anyway. A lot of times, when a Tenderfoot or Second Class Scout expresses that kind of interest, though they most likely won't be elected, the new SPL is going to talk to them about taking on one of the other POR's since they've shown interest in leading, if they aren't elected by their Patrols to be Patrol Leader.

Patrols choose their PL's however they want - election, rochambo (aka rock, paper, scissors), coin flip, pick-a-card, dice roll, or whatever safe method they choose (dueling at dawn is not allowed, nor wrestling for the position).

"I would like to hear more about the parent letter"

Don't know what you mean by a 'parent letter', but some organizations (especially those that don't use a nominating committee) make use of some kind of nomination form. This form specifies the dutes and responsibilities of the position being sought, and may also set down a code of conduct for the position (or all officers in general). The person putting forth themselves as a nominee is then required to agree and sign the form (and it may also require a brief essay explaining why they want the position and what they plan on doing with it). In scouting, I have seen such forms be used for officer elections in OA lodges and Venturing Officer Associations. I've also seen similiar forms used for appointed positions in other orgs (but rarely in scouting).

"also why someone cannot hold the same position in concecutive terms."

Its not always good for an organization to have someone continuously hold the same position term after term. The org gets stale, someone else wasn't allowed in, etc. So term limits are placed. Usually they don't allow one to hold the position more then two consecutive terms (especially in yearly terms), but could disallow holding a position for consecutive terms.

... fill out a form ...

Oh, Good God. What a marvelous way to suck the oxygen right out of the young Scout contmeplating leadership.

How about asking the youth who want to lead to have a friendly Scoutmaster Conference with Mr SM, so he can mentor the youth? It's part of his volunteer duties, after all...

John-in-KC

A lot of boys ran up to get a form, including many who had never gone for a leadership position before.

Yeah forms, but modern day BSA is nothing but paperwork. Want to join fill out a form. Medical forms. Camping Trip forms. We give them planning forms for menu planning, camping trip planning, year planning. Don't lose your rank card. Eagle project paperwork. If it were not for Troopmaster we would have many more paper forms. I work for the government and am astounded by how much paperwork is in BSA.

Bad solution, probably. It seemed to work; boys took it more seriously and felt it was fair.

As for our poor SM we are a large Troop I am not sure how easily he could mentor that many boys (aside from the SPL which was not really our problem)

In reference to the "parent letter," I was refering to jtswestark's "...letter and parent signature." I am interested on how their troop involves the parents in this. I doubt that we would ever require a "form," but I have seen occasions where less involved parents had no clue about the responsibilities of a position. I just wanted to hear more, that was all.

I find it interesting that most here had nominations come through the SM. Not saying that is right or wrong, only that I expected to see some troops having their scouts more involved with the process.

Keep the ideas coming.... :)

I know our SM did talk to the parents of our 3 SPL candidates over the additional time requirements, driving required of the SPL position. We had a pretty big problem with am AWOL SPL due to mom insisting he always do band first, etc. If nothing else some guys are just too busy.