Anyone know who make cub scout belt loops?

I am sure whoever makes them is in China. Not sure what you want to do but you can buy existing ones and polish the picture off and put whatever you want on there. or buy material from a sheet metal shop or mcmastercarr.com and bend them yourself.

I'm toying with the idea of bringing back skill awards for our troop, but I need to know who makes them so I can have them made wide enough for a boy scout belt as opposed to the narrower cub scout one.

Ilford, are you saying that you are considering establishing your own advancement program? If so, would that be instead of, or in addition to, the one provided in the Scout Handbook? And what would you use as requirements for your skill awards?

Troops actually have the power to establish their own troop level awards. I was thinking of revisiting the old skill awards and updating them where they warrent. I think it was a great way for older Scout to teach skills to new scouts.

If you order them through a company, chances are the cost will be prohibitive unless you have several hundred Scouts in your troop. You might consider hooking up with a local metalworker to produce smaller amounts.

Ilford,

Why in the HAIL would you want to bring back something so horrible as the 1972 Boy Scout Program? IT WAS AN ABSOLUTE UNMITIGATED DISASTER!!! (he shouts)

Urban Scouting was a disaster.

If you're going to look to the past for program, drop back to the 1959 Boy Scout handbook, or go look at kudu's website for ideas.

DING DONG THE BELT LOOPS ARE DEAD!!! THE BELT LOOPS ARE DEAD!!! THE BELT LOOPS ARE DEAD!!!

John-in-KC, I hear that so much in this forum, that the Scouting program from 72-79 or so was a disaster, and words to that effect. I don't know when you were a Scout, but I was a Boy Scout from 1969 to 1976. I barely noticed any change when the 1972 handbook came out except that the advancement requirements for the lower ranks were organized differently (which didn't directly affect me since I made First Class under the old handbook), the number of merit badges for the ranks was different, the patches were more colorful, and the terminology for almost everything was different. Big deal. My troop had the same program before and after the change (and in fact it was more outdoor- and backpacking-oriented due to a change in leadership.) I went to Philmont in 1974 and it didn't seem like people were refusing to go because of the changes in the handbook. I think most of the "disaster" is a myth. If troops stopped going camping, shame on them. Don't blame a book.

I hear a lot about the 1972 handbook from people in this forum who were Scouts either before or after the time period in question. I'd be interested in knowing what people think who were Scouts during the same time period that I was.

Having said that, I do think that the way the requirements are organized now is better than in the "skill awards" era. I think some of the other changes were misguided, or just plain didn't work. But a "disaster"? Give me a break.

No need to get your undies in a bunch! I happened to go thru that program and thought it was great! I'm sorry you don't like it, but I did. I do think it's funny that you think the whole thing was geared towards "Urban Scouting". I think that basic lessons in subjects such as: Camping, Conservation, Cooking, Environment, First Aid, Hiking, and Swimming (that's seven out of the twelve)are good skills to learn. But I don't want to turn this into a debate over the value of skill awards. I like them. You don't. Enough said.