what will the council do to the boy
The answer to this probably depends on the council. In our area, this would be a family-related issue and if it was handled by the family in conjunction with the legal system, the unit and CO would be as supportive as possible to the boy and the family of the boy. If they did this on a scouting event, I don't know...I don't know of an instance of this happening...yet. We HAVE dealt with the tobacco thing. The boy, in that case, is often given the choice between scouting and nicotine.
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it interesting that you differentiate between Tobacco and Marijuana.

So you would make a lad chose between scouting and tobacco, yet refuse the same choice with an illegal drug.

I have yet to face this decision in my troop.

Very simply, on an outing caught red handed it would be an immediate suspension with council being notified as to why.

Rumors would be an SMC with scout, parents and CC. Rumors all have a basis in reality.

The troop records would show he was a member but not in good standing

Different councils have different resources. Ours would support any disciplinary action the troop would feel it needs to take. It would follow the lead of the Sate Police. They would refer the scout and his parents to ample counseling resources. In all likelihood they would insist that the boy consider rehab.

In other words, everyone would do everything in their power to discourage the boy to never use that drug again.

For a boy to want to bring a controlled substance to a scouting event, there are bigger issues in play. We all would want to know what those issues are and how many people (parents, siblings, girlfriends, other scouts) are at risk.

shaggzzzz, (shooting in the dark here) if your are that boy -- or if anyone reading along is that boy, my best advice: GET HELP. GET CLEAN.

Your career in scouting is the least of your worries.

what are the consequences of a boy on a scouting event caught smoking weed
Don't smoke weed on a camping trip. Don't smoke weed period.

Take some friendly advice from somebody who's been in your shoes only a few short years ago, facing most of the same decisions you have to.

You don't need to use/abuse drugs/alcohol /tobacco to fit in. If your friends do, they probably aren't the best friends you could have. Substance abuse is a dangerous thing, and wasting your childhood on it is a tragedy.

Part of being a Scout is avoiding those sort of unhealthy vices.

If you want to quit, talk to your parents or if not your parents a trusted adult, coach, scoutmaster, school counselor. It's not to late to break the habit and get your life on track.

As far as the punishment in Scouting, that's on a case by case basis.

Don't blow me off as some windbag adult on a forum. Chances are I'm only 5 years older than you. Don't miss out on the fun times you have as a teenager messing around with substances that have no benefit to you.

I hope you'll take our advice seriously. Best of luck to you.

Sentinel947

Getting high on weed while camping is the same as getting drunk while camping.

Don't want you near the fire, stove or lantern.

Don't want to see an axe or a knife in your hand.

Can't trust you to wander off in the woods to take a nature call; you might forget your way back.

Certainly don't want you climbing, rappelling, canoeing, shooting or any other high adventure activity.

Our troop will not be responsible for you if you're high or drunk.

Do that stuff in the safety of your home.

Can't trust you to wander off in the woods to take a nature call; you might forget your way back.

Certainly don't want you climbing, rappelling, canoeing, shooting or any other high adventure activity.

What JoeBob said plus one more:

"stay away from my son!"

Georgia Mom

Old Shaggzzz is probably that scout because I received a message that he added me to his ignore list.

Didn't like my answer. Sorry son.

Scouting and Recreational Drug use are not compatible.

No I'm not that boy. I'm a adult leader I'm a Eagle Scout. I just ran into this problem this week. The kid comes from a broken home just trying to help him out to stay in Scouting

The Oath and Law are intended to become part of the boy's entire life, not just his Scouting experience. If the boy is tokin' up it doesn't make a bit of difference whether it be at a scout event or his bedroom.

A SMC to address the issue as an illegal activity is needed and if he doesn't get help, you will need to report it to the proper authorities. Otherwise, when the boy gets caught and hauled into court, they are going to put you on the hot-seat and question you about why you turned a blind eye. If the boy was bullying others, you would do something about it. If the boy was abusing others, you would do something about it. If he's stealing, you would do something about it. But if he tokes up, no big deal, just look the other way. Sorry, I don't buy that program as acceptable. It is not up to the scout leadership to determine that, that's a legal issue that needs to be and will eventually be addressed by the authorities. It just depends on whether or not YOU want to get caught up in the aiding/abetting net.

Sorry, after 40 years of working with youth, I don't turn my back on any child that needs help and turning a blind eye is not helping this boy. And I have been in the youth business for 40 years and I'm still around because I don't turn a blind eye. YPT is there to protect the boy from himself as well as others.

This all might sound kinda harsh, but if I care about the boy, I'll be the first to do something about it. I think it's written somewhere: "Help other people at all times...." If not, it should be.

Stosh

GM,You just make me laugh......

Tuck your head back in the sand it will be alright.

So whats gonna happen when your poor little over protected boy and girl go off to college?????? makes me chuckle thinking about it.

What is scout about I've been in the program over 20 years. I know right from wrong just trying to help out of trouble boy. I think the program is a good thing for him.
Thanks for more details. Talk to your scout executive as soon as possible. There may be resources out there, and he/she should be in a position to know about them.

Also, a seasoned exec will put you in touch with seasoned leaders to help you think through what's best for the boy and the troop.

Also, scouting doesn't stop in the juvenile justice system. Hopefully your scout will not face that. But, there are opportunities for him to keep working the program in juvy.

What is scout about I've been in the program over 20 years. I know right from wrong just trying to help out of trouble boy. I think the program is a good thing for him.
This goes beyond Scouting. We don't know your relationship to the Scout. Parent? Scoutmaster? Concerned Adult? Regardless you are ideally placed to help this young man who sorely needs help.

His status in Scouting needs to take a backseat to making sure he gets the help he needs dealing with substances. His parents need to be brought in if you aren't one. As Qwazse said, going to the Scout Executive on this issue isn't a bad idea if your unit needs help.