I've recently jumped into the CC chair for our Troop. My son has been in the Troop for three years now and I served on the committee during that time. As I've posted in other threads, this unit had a committee that had a serious disconnect from the unit.

One of the traditions in this unit is Charter Night. I've attended three of them now and what they boil down to is a 3+ hour evening where (to put it bluntly) the primary focus is not on the boys or the current program. It usually revolves around older committee members telling camp stories from the 40s and 50s while the current youth membership plays with their cell phones or stare off into space. About 30 minutes MAX is spent on the current program with 10 minutes of that being a slide show of summer camp.

I don't remember having Charter Night as a scout - is this something that is common? If so, what kind of things do you all see on this night?

During the yearly planning session I mentioned to the PLC that as the CC I had zero desire to run a Charter Night like we've been having. I asked them to draw up some plans for one by the boys for the boys.

I'd appreciate any advice you all may have. I'm kind of hoping that they will come back with something vastly different than what is currently happening.

From what you have posted it seems that the old timers look forward to this night, which I've never heard of before.

It also seems that the youth have no interest in it.

So why not have a night for the adults?

Invite some of the guys from the District to attend. These District types might do a little arm twisting and maybe could come away with a couple of Commissioners, MBC's, FOS Presenters maybe even a few bucks for FOS?

If it goes well? Great!

If it stinks? Then no one is going to want to do it again.

Either way you come out smelling like a rose.

Ea.

I have never heard of an event like that. I have heard of a charter presentation, although "my" troop doesn't actually do one of those either. I envision a 15-minute-or-so ceremony including someone saying "a few words" -- literally, a few. But not 3-4 hours of sitting around listening to stories, most of which I would guess everybody has heard before. In my troop the boys would not be the only ones not sitting still for that.

You say the PLC is going to come up with something, but I don't see the point of the event at all. A slide show from summer camp and other "year in review" type presentations sound like a great thing for a Court of Honor -- 10-15 minutes per Court of Honor, in between the awarding of advancements and other recognitions. But as you say, keep the main focus on the boys.

It does sound more like a Old Timers' Night, which ain't a bad thing. I thought of having a Troop reunion picnic, but couldn't get much traction with the rest of the present Troop.

Charter Presentation is another thing entirely. The Charter is not presented to the Troop/Pack/Crew/Ship, but to the Organization that sponsors/Charters the Scout Unit.

As a Commissioner, I delight in presenting Charters. I have 6 units I "officially" Commish. Four of them at one UMChurch. What I like to do is, when the Council finally gets it's act together and gets the Charter certificates to me, I invite a rep from each Unit to appear at a service of the church, the Reverend introduces us (all in uniform): Venture Crew President, Scoutmaster and/or SPL, Cubmaster, and Seascout Skipper and/or Quartermaster. Each gives a short acknowledgement of the church's support , a little about their program and activities, and then I present the Charter Certificates (suitable for framing) to the Reverend (applause, applause).

It can be mentioned at CoHs, Blue and Gold , Captain's Mess, etc. but the presentation is best made TO and AT the CO.

I've never heard of such a thing. But before judgment is passed, a little more information might be helpful.

>> Is this an annual event? Monthly?

>> The title "Charter Night" suggests that this is something that the CO wants. Have you spoken with the COR about what its goals are for the night?

>> Does it replace a regular troop meeting?

>> What incentive is there for the boys to attend? If it's such a boring night, what brings them out?

If it's just a once-a-year event, *and* it's something the CO wants to happen - a reflection on the past, looking forward to the future, etc. - perhaps it's not worth fighting over.

Maybe someone can politely make it clear that speakers are to speak on certain topics - "The Early Days of Camp Winehaha," or "How Troop 1 Built The Town Gazebo" - and have time limits, to guard against back-in-my-day rambling.

Or better yet, maybe the old committee members could meet with the troop historian to record oral history interviews, to preserve their memories for posterity. Their tales could be edited down and put into a "Troop 1 Through The Years" video at the next COH.

The name of "Charter Night" sounds like it was an event thought up by your Charter Organization, or your Troop to honor your Charter Organization.

Before you hand it off to the Scouts, re-write what it is, or drop it altogether, talk to your COR to find out what it is really supposed to be all about. I am sure someone had a purpose in mind when this event was created. You need to find out what that purpose was/is.

Thanks for the responses.

To give some further clarity:

>> Is this an annual event? Monthly?

Annual event in March. I do believe that initially it was meant as a 'Welcome to the Troop" night as there is a small section (5 minutes) devoted to recognizing the scouts that have just crossed over to the Troop from the Pack.

>> The title "Charter Night" suggests that this is something that the CO wants. Have you spoken with the COR about what its goals are for the night?

I haven't had a formal conversation with him about it but he does attend out committee meetings. We have one tonight so I'll chat with him about it.

>> Does it replace a regular troop meeting?

No.

>> What incentive is there for the boys to attend? If it's such a boring night, what brings them out?

I think they come because they are 'supposed' to do so. I've watched attendance drop over the years. Some of them probably come for the food.

>>If it's just a once-a-year event, *and* it's something the CO wants to happen - a reflection on the past, looking forward to the future, etc. - perhaps it's not worth fighting over.

Honestly, I don't think there would be a fight. My main reason for asking about this was to get an idea of what if anything other units do with their charter nights.

Turns out this seems to be a creation of this unit. Upon further reflection, I don't want to completely change it - just get some ideas of how to tweak it and perhaps rebalance it to speak to the current generation of scouts.

Thanks again to all for their input.

Some ideas:

Have you thought of making it part of earning the Scouting Heritage Merit Badge?

http://scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/MeritBadges/mb-scout_heritage.aspx

Other ideas:

Keep the stories short

Is there something they use to DO that they could show the Scouts how to DO and have the Scouts DO? Boys usually like to DO not sit.

>>During the yearly planning session I mentioned to the PLC that as the CC I had zero desire to run a Charter Night like we've been having. I asked them to draw up some plans for one by the boys for the boys.

I would not suggest subjecting the boys to Adult scouting stories. The PLC can decide not to hold it again.....Who can blame them?????

I am suggesting that the event evolve, into a troop committee or leadership event. If the PLC would like to join and participate than fine, but don't make it required.

Not sure what part of the country your in.....but in march sitting around the campfire is great fun.....especially with old friends. Nice pot of coffee, a basket of cookies and a couple of hours with good friends......Sounds like a great evening.

It's not unusual for an activity to begin as a fun event and then be flogged into a losing program.

Time to revise this event into something more useful and meaningful.

What role do the old timers play in the troop and how useful is it? There's a good argument for having long term commitments by adults to support a troop, and to have means to recognize such service. But tyhat doesn't mean boring people for 3-4 hours!

The term "Charter Night" is common in units sponsored by Masons, Rotarians, and Lions. In Traditional Scouting it is known as "Old Scouts Night" or "Alumni Night."

It dates back to a by-gone era when Scouting was based on the passing on of traditions, rather than the ethics of disposability and pop management fads.

"Alumni Activities

"Troops that have an Old-timers group organized usually bring them together at a dinner once a year. At this dinner they discuss old times and hear about the progress the Troop is making. At another time Old-timers are invited to visit the Troop meeting or a special Reunion Hike may be arranged for them..." (Green Bar Bill).

For more information, see:

http://inquiry.net/adult/scout_alumni_for_troop.htm

Some Troops conduct a yearly "Reunion Hike" or "Old Timers' Hike," limited to adults and "Senior Scouts:"

"Preliminary: Many Troops have established the tradition of an Old Timers' Hike on the last Saturday or Sunday of the year, when previous members are home for the Christmas holidays. An adequate attendance promotion is required and a suitable program may be developed. Old Timers and Senior Scouts of the Troop (i.e. boys at least 15 years of age) take part...."

For more information, see:

http://inquiry.net/outdoor/hikes/reunion_old_timers_hike.htm

"Old Scouts" were integrated into Baden-Powell's program:

See "274E" and follow rule references from there:

http://inquiry.net/traditional/por/groups.htm

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

Thanks Kudu - this makes sense since this unit is over 75 years old and many of these members are in their mid to late 70s.

I've spent more than a few afternoons reading your site. I appreciate it greatly as a resource.