Outfitting a Unit Trailer

I have purchased a trailer that I will be using for our pack to move/store equipment. It was a Boy Scout Troop trailer. I cannot remember if there are any shelves inside, but I already plan to put some in.

What other things would the campfire recommend I do for the trailer. The door is a barn style (one door) and there is no side door. I think the trailer is about 5 feet wide and about 8 - 10 feet long. There is also a rack on the top that I think would be perfect for spars like bamboo or other timbers.

What are your suggestions.

One thing that I was thinking about is adding some heavy duty hooks inside either at the front of the trailer by the tongue or on the wall opposite the shelf side for backpacks and other stuff that can be hung up.

Any help?

Good luck! If you have gear like stoves, LP bottles, tents, shelves made to fit the gear would be handy.

If you have loose types of gear, consider using plastic footlockers, with labels on the ends, and racks for the footlockers to fit into.

A battery system for lights might be handy. You will want a set of chocks, a tongue lock, and a breakdown safety kit (reflective triangles, lights or flares, jack, spare tire).

Make sure the turn signal and brake lights work.

Good luck!

Depends on what you plan to haul.

We built a false floor 1.25 inches tall to create a storage area for the metal tarp poles. We have a removal divided cubby to store the troop tents. We have a second floor shelf about 18-20 inches above the floor. We slide all the plastic patrol box tubs under the shelf. We can put the personal gear on top and still access the patrol boxes. We have a small shelf at the top front of the trailer to store the propane lanterns. Up out of the way and abuse to preserve the mantels. The mid level shelf and tent cubby are removal so we can load with summer camp trunks.

DO NOT STORE YOUR GEAR IN THE TRAILER, how many times have we read or heard on the news about scout trailers being stolen.......

STORE TRAILER BEHIND LOCKED FENCE, or in a gargage, not in the CO's parking lot.

Get some tire covers to protect the tires from UV when sitting. BTW check the tires for dry rot or uv damage..

Don't add to much weight in shelving. Make sure you have a proper spare tire, jack, lug wrench. do the maintenance on the bearings....I am sure no one has.

THe trailer will be stores at my residence. Remember I said that I purchased it. I also plan on getting a tongue type locks for it. It will also probably be chained to my shed.

Thanks for the note about the tire covers.

I will also be watching how much weight I store long term on the shelves.

If you cook on camp outs or have campfires, include several fire extinguishers. We purchased the small ones with wall mounts and mounted them on the trailer walls. Mount a first aid kit inside the door or on the side wall. D-Rings mounted on the walls also allow you to use tie-downs or bungee cords to secure equipment in place. Steel or wood shelv ing you build does add a lot of weight and are difficult to keep clean. We used metal wire shelving that we could adjust to the size of the gear being stored on that shelf. If you utilize plastic containers as others have suggested, be sure to get ones that you can see through - label as necessary but you will find things quickly get moved around. We also use the plastic containers to pack food for weekend campouts so it is protected from travel damage and organize it by meal - makes it really easy to pull out Saturday breakfast, Saturday lunch, etc. and the bread and fruit don't get crushed.

Might consider LED lighting inside with a single battery pack just inside the door. One set of batteries would last a long time.

If you put in the flat screen/video game system, don't forget the generator fridge and microwave....that's my kind of camping!

My suggestion,

You should 'store' only the minimum gear (the safety and maintenance stuff and tie-downs, etc.) in the trailer.

Your troop QM is responsible for loading for the next trip and unloading for the previous one. This means that two meetings a month (ideally pre- and post- trip), the boys are devoting some time to transferring gear under the watchful eye of the QM.

Depending on the activities your troop does, you may want to rig racks or storage hooks for personal gear. (E.g. bike racks, backpack racks, rod/reel holders ... it all depends on what's popular with your boys.)