I am about to survey my district about how each unit handles gear. And I am looking for different approaches.

How does your troop manage troop, patrol and individual equipment needs? What is he extent of the patrol vs. troop equipment..... stoves, propane, lantern(s), dinnerware, dutch ovens, bow saw, kitchen tarp/EZup, folding tables, tents, backpacks, etc.? If there are patrol Quartermasters and a committee Equipment Coordinator, what are the duties of, or do you need a troop Quartermaster? Do you use troop funds (or donations) to provide tents (or other equipment) for checkout by patrols or do you purchase patrol tents or use individual/personal tents or have patrol money-raising events to purchase their own equipment? If troop or patrol owned equipment (like a tent) is damaged due to misuse, is/are the individual(s), that patrol or the entire troop responsible for repair/replacement?

I know that every troop approaches equipment differently and would be curious as to what seems to work best for troops of different sizes and different numbers of patrols.

What is he extent of the patrol vs. troop equipment..... stoves, propane, lantern(s), dinnerware, dutch ovens, bow saw, kitchen tarp/EZup, folding tables, tents, backpacks, etc.?

Troop: dutch ovens, saw/ax, large tarp shelter, tables

Patrols: tents (working to get there), stoves, lanterns, cooking/cleaning gear

Individual: dinnerware, backpack

We have the assistant patrol leader do the function of a patrol quartermaster.

Do you use troop funds (or donations) to provide tents (or other equipment) for checkout by patrols or do you purchase patrol tents or use individual/personal tents or have patrol money-raising events to purchase their own equipment?

Troop funds/donations.

If troop or patrol owned equipment (like a tent) is damaged due to misuse, is/are the individual(s), that patrol or the entire troop responsible for repair/replacement?

I actually can't recall a significant incident in this regard. All damage has been relatively normal wear and tear. The only time I've had an individual be responsible for damage was a small but obvious damaged item at the CO.

We are pretty well geared up for camping. Patrols and individuals can check out troop tents and dutch ovens, and have to return them clean and dry.

We have 5 nice tents, and the newer boys use them, the older scouts preferring to purchase their own [lighter] [larger] [single] fill in the blank type of tent.

The troop QM is responsible for these, propane bottles, lanterns, tarps and the trailer.

Patrol QM's are responsible for their patrol footlockers and the gear/food stuff, patrol cooking gear, skillets, plates, etc. that is in them.

We've not had any abuse of gear, other than the ham handed efforts of youth on gear, which does shorten its life span.(This message has been edited by Alabama Scouter)

In the "Real" Patrol Method at 300 feet (or out in the backwoods), a good Patrol Quartermaster can be as important as a Patrol Leader.

Therefore, we always promoted good Patrol Quartermasters to the office of Troop Quartermaster so they could get PoR credit and a patch.

The ideal in this Patrol Method is one Troop Quartermaster per Patrol.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

Troop gear: Dutch ovens (6-8), tents (12-16), tarps 5, lanterns 6, stoves (backpack 4 and two burner 7), fuel (charcoal, propane & coleman), patrol boxes 7, water jugs 3, folding tables 2, rope, latrine cleaning supplies, dishwashing tubs 16, trash cans 2, axes 2, saws 2, ring bouys 2, throw ropes, canoes 3, paddles, pfds, MB library, COH and ECOH decorations, troop first aid kit, troop flag, US Flag, troop trailer 5x10, and scout shed 16'x20'.

Paid for by troop funds through annual fundraising events (popcorn, carwashes, tree/wreath sales, etc.)and annual dues ($75). There is no specific patrol gear. Patrol checks out equipment from Quartermaster (scout position) and checks back in after use. One ASM has taken on role to help guide the 2 new scout quartermasters after each election every 6 months. Worn gear is periodically replaced via troop funds. Specific damage by a scout would be scouts responsibility to repair or pay to replace.

Backpacks and sleeping bags are personal gear. Personal eating utensils and plates/bowls. Full uniform is expected at all events including but limited to troop meetings, COH, BOR, campouts, & summer camp. Troop T-shirts are sold and expected to be worn during "class B" events. First troop neckerchief is supplied, must purchase new one if lost. Uniform closet is available.

Food is paid for through camping fee collected from each scout for each campout. Fuel and food for drivers/ASMs is partially reimbursed via campout fees.

Summer camperships are available via request through troop treasurer. All adult training is paid in full by troop funds, including Woodbadge.

45-55 registered scouts. 75%-85% participaton at every event. 5-7 patrols.

Ok I'm back.

All gear was owned by the troop, but was assigned to the individual patrols. If a patrol ceased to exist, it went back into the troop inventory. Depending upon the cause of the damage determined who paid for new equipment, i.e. scout or patrol destroyed something they paid for it, normal wear and tear, or the CO uses the storage shed as a dartboard and causes your tent to become unserviceable due to mildew and glass globes for lanterns are destroyed, troop paid for it.