I wonder about this.

"Best Practice" is a term that has entered industry, and now government agencies are making someones "best practice" everyone else's requirement.

I wonder if someones "best practice" for their troop might not be the best idea for the next troop.

With everyone on this forum in complete agreement about everything related to Boy Scouting, perhaps it won't be the problem I imagine!!

When I hear "best practice", I actually think "possible good idea". This seems like a reasonably good idea to me - after all, that's part of what I use this forum for, looking for some best practices.

At least, that's what I thought when I started using this forum :-) Actually, I get some good ideas, but the sharing of best practices is a bit less than I'd hoped, primarily because anyone who posts an idea has to be prepared to hear all the reasons why it really isn't such a great idea.

So maybe a moderated list will be even better. We'll see. I don't know if people will submit a lot, but it seems worth a try.

BN,

GREAT IDEA. A few comments.

1) It needs a "user friendly" search mechanism. One of the challenges with the old discussion board on myscouting.org was that folks couldn't find the topic they were looking for, so they were 2 or more groups discussing the exact same topic b/c they couldn't find the original thread.

2) Something needs to be done about response time as SP sent in the same thread multiple times, and it shows. BUT she didn't get a response and kept hitting enter.

Gaaaaccckkkk!

Best Practices? Really?

What? ISO9000 meats Boy Scouts. What's next 6-sigma?

The problem with best practices, is that they are ALWAYS moving. By the time you have them defined, they've migrated about 50 ways.

I can't tell you have many times I have to go through the drill of defining and documenting "best practices" in the last 15 years and the end is always the same...you end up with a document that describes and outdated process.

We affectionately refer to this and other Process Manager gook as "False Economies".